PDA

View Full Version : Got the Will but no way to read it!

Fidgetsmum
17-05-2008, 7:57 PM
For the small price of £3.50, the PRO kindly sent me, in PDF form, the Will of my 3xgrt.grandfather. Unfortunately, although it's in English, it runs to 3 (and a bit) A4 pages and, despite increasing the zoom to 200%, I still can't make out more than the odd sentence.

Please - I need help. What on earth do I do now?

v.wells
17-05-2008, 9:06 PM
Let them know that it is unreadable and to email you another better quality image - at no charge of course.. Have you tried to print a page of it?

Ladkyis
17-05-2008, 9:12 PM
could you put the images on flickr or photobucket and give us a link to them? There is a certain gentleman on this forum can decipher wills with one eye closed.
He might see the request and help - or I can ask him.

Mutley
17-05-2008, 9:41 PM
Where there is a will, there is a way :D:D:D Maybe?

Fidgetsmum
18-05-2008, 8:17 AM
Oh Mutley! |scold|;) That was a dastardly pun :D

It isn't actually the PRO's fault, I have printed a copy (several in fact) by zooming in, screen dumping and pasting - 'tis the writing I can't read, the combined effect of a broad-nibbed pen and small writing. Of course, the more you zoom the more the image becomes distorted.

flickr or photobucket? Oh dear! I just knew it would have to get technical. I have tried, believe me, I have. I've tried with both flickr and photobucket and get as far as 'choose file' - when I choose the file, it says 'Open', I click (or indeed double click) and nowt happens. 'You need it to be in a file of its own' says daughter, helpfully. It is in a file of it's own. 'Yes, but it probably needs to be a graphics file - jpeg, gif etc.' Despite getting an A* in her GCSE IT exam some years ago, her expertise in making it into such, doesn't run to that I'm afraid. Daughter's last suggestion is to increase the zoom, take a digital photo then download from the camera. It's a thought, but surely we're going about this the wrong way? |help||sad1|

Peter Goodey
18-05-2008, 8:40 AM
If you want to email the pdf file to me, I'll make it available to everyone. My email address is on the home page of my website.

Fidgetsmum
18-05-2008, 10:35 AM
I'll do that, thank you Peter for your generous offer.

F'smum

Peter Goodey
18-05-2008, 11:57 AM
I've put the will online but took the liberty of starting a new thread in the "Reading Old Documents" forum:

http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php?p=162053#post162053