PDA

View Full Version : LONGBUCKBY CANAL PEOPLE

Thresher1
17-05-2008, 11:22 AM
Hello There
Does anyone know of any websites which tell you where boatmen lived and also the names of the boats that the worked on and for which conpany they worked for during the 1800's and up to 1910

Jan1954
17-05-2008, 11:31 AM
Maybe the people at the Long Buckby Local History Society may be able to help. Their details are at the bottom of the page here: http://www.longbuckby.net/genealogy/index.php

Alan Welsford
11-09-2008, 7:44 PM
Hello There
Does anyone know of any websites which tell you where boatmen lived and also the names of the boats that the worked on and for which company they worked for during the 1800's and up to 1910
This is not information I think you are likely to find in any online source.

Censuses may list them, possibly including name and tonnage of boat, but are unlikely to say to whom the boat belonged. Because they were always on the move, they very often didn't get enumerated, though.

I believe that people researching canal ancestors are best to investigate the branch of the National Waterways Museum that is at Gloucester Docks.

People often quote the Stoke Bruerne (Northants), or Ellesmere Port part of the museum, but I believe "people archives" that do exist are at Gloucester.

I've yet to try it myself, as I've yet to prove a link to canal boatmen sharing my Surname, but would be interested in how much information is archived.

Alan

ps

There is an interesting display on how to research your canal ancestors at the London Canal Museum, (independent of the ones listed above), but no actual archives there, I believe.