PDA

View Full Version : Boer War-Died of Disease

Dannemois
15-05-2008, 2:00 PM
Can someone please elaborate on the cause of death [died of disease] for many british soldiers who fought in the Boer War.

Regards
Roy

Sue Mackay
15-05-2008, 2:19 PM
In the Boer War twice as many soldiers died of disease as were killed in action. Over 13,000 men died of disease. One of the biggest killers was typhoid, but there were many other causes. The soldiers found it difficult to cope with extremes of temperature in winter and summer, and having to march incredible distances over veldt with inadequate rations and equipment.

Dannemois
16-05-2008, 12:28 PM
Hello Sue
My thanks for the info, the name is familiar, are you the same lady in the GFHS.

regards
Roy

Sue Mackay
16-05-2008, 12:37 PM
Hello Sue
My thanks for the info, the name is familiar, are you the same lady in the GFHS.

regards
Roy

That's me - you probaby paid me your membership dues for 15 years!!

Dannemois
16-05-2008, 1:15 PM
I'm not sure how long I have been a member but yes I did pay my membership via you.

With reference to the Boer War and the Third South Wales Borderers, is it possible for someone to scan an image of the uniform worn by our troops in [1900].
Regards
Roy

Sue Mackay
16-05-2008, 1:34 PM
With reference to the Boer War and the Third South Wales Borderers, is it possible for someone to scan an image of the uniform worn by our troops in [1900].
Regards
Roy

Have you see Geoffers' answer on your other thread?

http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php?p=161468

Looks as if you should pay a visit to the museum in Brecon.

ladysmith
16-05-2008, 8:35 PM
Typhoid (more commonly called enteric enteric fever) was certainly by far the biggest killer with dysentery in second place. The principal cause was drinking polluted water. Thomas Pakenham devotes a whole chapter to the problem ('The Plague of Bloemfontein') in his standard reference work 'The Boer War'.

David

Dannemois
17-05-2008, 11:25 AM
Thanks Sue, already planned on my next visit. I have no excuse now, my daughter recently moved to Brecon and lives opposite the museum.

roy

Dannemois
17-05-2008, 11:25 AM
Hi David
Thanks for the info, much appreciated.
Roy