PDA

View Full Version : The family rumour...

*bunty*
15-05-2008, 12:50 PM
is that two siblings of my grandfather had an incestuous relationship and had a child from that relationship. I looked in BMD for the time I expected the child to be born with mother and father of the same surname, but found nothing that fit. I came across a birth reg 1923 in the correct regsitration district of Pontefract, but with the mother's maiden name as my great grandmothers. I wasn't aware of this child. Curiousity got to me and I ordered the cert. Lo and behold the child is registered as the daughter of my great grandmother, except the father is not listed. Oh, did I mention that the husband of said great grandmother died 2 years before?

My question is, given the family rumour of incest, is it possible a mother 'took the fall' for her children and claimed this child as her own? She would have been near on 50 at the time the baby was born, and had her last child 9 years before. Is it possible a mother would have covered up for her childrens' indiscretions? Alternatively it could be her child to a mystery man, although something tells me this is not the case. Thoughts?

susan-y
15-05-2008, 1:13 PM
Hi Bunty...
It was a very common practice here in Ontario for the actual grandparents to be listed as parents of the child and the actual mother be considered a sibling. Quite often, even the child was unaware that " Mom and Dad" were actually "Grandma and Grandpa" and big sister "X" was actually "Mom" and your other siblings were actually "aunts and uncles". What a shock when your were older and found out, or how about when you were doing your own genealogy? |shocked| It seems quite likely that this could have been the case in the family in question. Of course, all this family information is always passed on in whispers!!
Sue

Sue Mackay
15-05-2008, 1:45 PM
A friend of mine learned from his 'mother' as she lay dying that the woman he had always thought was his mother was actually his aunt. It was doubly devastating to realise that his favourite 'aunt', actually his mother, had died two years previously. All very sad, but just imagine the anguish these women must have felt because the pressures of society in those days made them feel they had to keep these secrets.

Ladkyis
15-05-2008, 7:20 PM
The actor Jack Nicholson discovered that the woman he thought was his mother was really his grandmother and that his oldest 'sister' who had left home and gone to be an actress was really his mother. I believe he said something about suddenly not knowing who you are.

Such things were happening even in the 1960s. A girl I was in school with got 'into trouble' and the whole family moved across the Severn to Bristol where the baby was presented to the world as a brother for the girl. I have often wondered how things turned out for them.

I suspect something like that has to have happened to my own ancestors because my 3 x great grandmother has a son born 1836 when she would have been 55 - if the dates for her are correct - I am still investigating.

*bunty*
15-05-2008, 9:15 PM
Wow, so it is plausible. This child (female) could still be alive today although quite elderly (hence I am not mentioning names). Off to search for a marriage for this person.

birdlip
15-05-2008, 11:51 PM
I remember in the late 60's, when I was on my first teaching practice in a village school near Bath; being quietly told by the teacher, that the older sister who picked up a six year old, was actually his mother. Something the whole village knew about presumably, but it was never spoken of, not to the child anyway. An eye opener for a naive 18 year old from suburban London.

regards birdlip

akhenaten
16-07-2008, 7:53 PM
The actor Jack Nicholson discovered that the woman he thought was his mother was really his grandmother and that his oldest 'sister' who had left home and gone to be an actress was really his mother. I believe he said something about suddenly not knowing who you are.

Such things were happening even in the 1960s. A girl I was in school with got 'into trouble' and the whole family moved across the Severn to Bristol where the baby was presented to the world as a brother for the girl. I have often wondered how things turned out for them.

I suspect something like that has to have happened to my own ancestors because my 3 x great grandmother has a son born 1836 when she would have been 55 - if the dates for her are correct - I am still investigating.

The same thing happened to Bobby Darin. He was born in 1936 and was 32 when he found out his "mother" was actually his grandmother.

Source:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0201239/bio

I think this happens more often than is realized, well, no so much the incest angle, but children being claimed by grandparents.

Jerry

benny1982
16-07-2008, 8:46 PM
My 3xgreat grandmother Clara Emma Auber was born in Dec 1835 when her mum was 51. Could it be likely to have a child at that age?

Clara was not with her mum and dad in 1841, nor was her older sister Emma who would have been 28 then. Clara's other sister Elizabeth was at home then aged 23. Clara went to live with Elizabeth by 1851 as she wed in 1845 and throughout the 1840s in 1840, 1843 and 1850 Emma bore 3 illegitimate children, one was a handicapped child, who had spinal defects and was blind.

I am not sure but can suspect.

Ben

jane.harrison.9
16-07-2008, 10:11 PM
My ex mother-in-law ,born in the 1930's only found out that her big sister was actually her mother on the death of her "mother" .She had always thought her grandmother to be her mother. Jane. :)

ash33au
16-07-2008, 11:25 PM
My former partner's grandfather was born out of wedlock in 1882, 5 years before his mother married who we thought was her great grandfather. He adopted the surname and identity of his new 'father' for the rest of his life.

I unlocked this (with some help from this site) whilst doing a direct line tree for my son. Needless to say, his mum is refusing to accept the truth and has become very defensive of her family history since I stupidly told her.

sindylin
09-08-2008, 8:08 PM
My dad was brought up by his grandparents, he was told when he was 9 years old. He says he kinda guessed as he always felt closer to his big "sister" Despite this they never really had a mother/son relationship.

My grandmother had been sent away to give birth and when she came back the baby was presented as her new baby brother to the outside world.

This carried on and when my dad married my mum, his grandfather took the role as father! and even in his will he left some money to "My son............"

sindylin