PDA

View Full Version : SMITH family from Bath

kerrie
28-12-2004, 2:51 AM
Seeing as though Smith is such a common name my ancestors decided to give their children unusual first names. I have managed to find the marriage and now death of my gggrandfather but not his birth which will be in the parish registers but which parish register do I look at? They were living in Southgate Street Bath. Any help with the correct parish will be more than greatly appreciated as its a bit much to ask someone do to lookups for SMITHS.

k0065126
29-12-2004, 12:47 PM
Kerrie,

I have had a quick look at the baptisms in St Swithin, Walcot for 1813 to 1828 but did not see any unusual Forenames. Is it possible that they may have been baptised in Bath Abbey as Southgate Street is in the centre of Bath? If you post the details which you know I will have another look at St Swithin for other dates. I also have a copy of the Bath Abbey registers which I could look at for you.

Viv

kerrie
29-12-2004, 1:35 PM
Viv you are a treasure. I really don't have a lot to go on and as its a very common name I really don't like asking for lookups. John Bennett Smith was married in Walcot but the Smith boys were all born in Bath. When John was married he was living in Southgate Street which was 1843 and he married Mary Tiley. I got the Walcot parish registers and have found a lot of the Tiley's but no Smiths. There were 3 boys that I know of John Bennett Smith born 1820 - 21, Seth Smith - I believe he to be the eldest and Gaius Maurice Smith who was born around 1821?. I got the names from a copy of a will that was in my grandfathers papers. Gauis Smith their father appears in 1830 Pigot's Directories as a book binder. Their mother was Sarah Bennett born in Horningsham Wiltshire, I believe. Seth was a wealthy man and it is believed that the family were related to WD & Ho Wills the tabacco company, I also believe he was the proprietor of a Brewery - from the will. On Seth's death he left 4-5 properties to his nieces and nephews of which my great grandmother was one. I wish I had more information to go on but this is all that I have.

k0065126
29-12-2004, 5:44 PM
Kerrie,
No luck in the baptisms in St Swithin, Walcot from 1800 to 1837 or Bath Abbey registers which finish in 1800.
Pigots directory for Somerset, 1842-44, shows Gaius Smith, bookbinder, 33 Morford Street. This is a short, very steep, street off Lansdown Road near the junction with Camden Crescent.
Also Seth Smith, cabinet maker, 30 Southgate Street. There are also 2 Johns :- wood & coal dealer, 2 Charlotte Street and a beer retailer at 9 Sydney Gardens. I wonder if he sold beer to my ancestors the Owens?

I have found the 3 in an index to the 1851 census.
Age District Piece Enum Dist? Page?
John B 30 Walcot 1942 01D or 4? 06
Gaius 32 Bath St James 1941 01D or 4? 10
Seth 36 Bath St James 1941 01D or 4? 10

A transcription of the 1851 census shows the three as :-
Southgate Street
Schedule 33? on page 10 of HO107/1941
SMITH Sarah Widow/er 76 Annuitant Horningsham
Seth son 36 Upholsterer Bath, Som.
Gains Son 32 Bookseller Bath, Som. (Gaius?)
ALLMAN Mary Servant 16 Dunkerton

HO107/1942 Walcot, Thomas Street
Schedule 32 on page 6
SMITH John 30 Wheelchair Maker Bath, Som.
Mary 30 Bath, Som.
Frederick 7 Scholar Bath, Som.
Alfred 5 Scholar Bath, Som.
Sarah 4 Bath, Som.
Mary 1 Bath, Som.
JULINE Robert 20 Coach Trimmer Bath, Som.

Thomas Street is another steep street, this time leading north off the London Road abouth a mile from the town centre. I used to live close to there and some of my ancestors also lived in the same area in early Victorian times.

I think I have identified Seth in 1871 lodging in Lyncomber & Widcombe aged 50, a retired upholsterer. He was unmarried. I tried a quick search for the other two with no success. Do you have access to the 1871 census? If not I can supply more details. I also have the 1841 census on order and could look out for your family when I plough through it to identify my family, although I expect this will take me many weeks / months.

I hope this helps,
Viv

kerrie
30-12-2004, 1:23 PM
Hi Viv

This is the family. John Bennett Smith died in 1875 according to Free BMD's. The age is correct so I think it is him although I have not proven it yet. I am not sure so that Seth is the one that you are taking about as being a lodger as he was the wealthy one of the family. Unfortunately I don't have access to the 1871 census yet. Isn't there a St Peters and Pauls in Bath? Would that be the parish I am after? Many thanks again for all your help Viv. It is greatly appreciated.

k0065126
03-01-2005, 12:06 PM
Kerrie,

I have found Gaius in the 1861 census living at 31 Southgate Street, (RG9/1686/pge 16, ED 5, sorry cannot see the folio number). The household was :-
Sarah Smith, Head, Widow, 83, Annuitant, Horningtham, Wilts;
Gaius Smith, Son, Son, Unmarried, 42, Station & Bookseller, Bath, Somerset;
It looks as if there were 4 other people in the house in 2 households. (it does say Station, not Stationer). If you have an idea which streets they may have lived in I can have another look. I have a rough street index to this census.

I have had another look at the 1871 census, (cannot find John or Gaius, but Ancestry’s transcriptions are not 100% accurate). The Seth I found was living at 11 Southcot Place Court, probably at the bottom of Lyncombe Hill. If he is not the right Seth then that means that there were two with this unusual name, both born about the same time in Bath and in the same trade. As this Seth is shown as a retired Upholsterer this suggests that he had enough savings to live on.

Bath Abbey is the Abbey Church of St Peter & St Paul and it would be worth looking at the registers after 1800 as these are not on my CD. I believe St James and St Michael are also parishes in the centre of Bath. St James covers Southgate Street and St Michael is out towards Walcot.

I hope this helps,

Viv

kerrie
07-01-2005, 12:06 PM
Hi Viv

Information that I have was that they lived at 30 Southgate Street Kettering when John Bennett Smith married Mary Tiley in 1843 and Sarah was their mother there father died ans his name was Gauis as well but in Pigots 1830 its is spelt Caius.

John Bennet Smith died in 1875 according to Free BMD's.

It seems strange that there would have been to Seth Smith's living in the same place around the same age. But for memory from his will he was living in his own home when he died, not sure when as I don't have a copy of the will at hand.

Many thanks again for all your help Viv.

Ronajacobs
03-09-2011, 7:51 PM
Am a new member to this website. My Gt. Gt. Gt. Grandfather was Gaius Smith (b. 1774 in Warminster, Wilts). I have a record of his birth, showing his Father as Bennett Smith and Mother as Hester (?surname). I can't find marriage for Gaius (who was the youngest of three - Seth, (b. 1776), John (b 1768). However I have the marriage cert of Gaius's son, John Bennett Smith who marriaed Mary Tiley in Bath in 1843. His father is named as Gaius Smith - Cabinet maker. John Bennett Smith and Mary Tiley were living at Southgate Street, and Burlington St. They were married at Countess of Huntgingdon's Chapel Vineyards, Bath, Somerset, on 26th March 1843.
Incidentally, Seth, John and Gaius were all born in Warminster,Wilts. If you have any further info, can we share please. Rona

Ronajacobs
03-09-2011, 8:15 PM
PS. After reading your correspondence (Kerrie/Viv) it appears we are researching the same family. My Father was Horace Bennett Smith who married Mabel Agnes Northey. His Father was Francis John Smith,( Lyncombe District) married to Ida Emily Davis (May 1889 - Countess of H's Vineyard Chapel.0 He was a Store keeper/Cellerman, and later a Theatre Attendant when he died. His Father was Frederick Bennett Smith b. September 1843. in the District of Lyncombe and Widcombe ) married to Mary Ann Rowland. Frederick was a Carriage and Wheelchair maker, as was his Father, John Bennett Smith.
My Grandmother, Ida Emily Smith (nee Davis) died in 1865 just 3 months short of her 100th b'day! Rona

Kerrywood
03-09-2011, 8:25 PM
Hi Ronajacobs, and welcome to the forums! It's good to see you've found a connection here.

As you'll see, this thread is quite old, but kerrie is still a member of the forum and may be alerted to your post.

You also have the option of contacting kerrie via the private messaging system -- just click on kerrie's user name (in blue) and select Send Private Message.

Aussiemandias
02-07-2014, 7:28 PM
I've been attempting to discover more about a direct paternal ancestor going by the name of Thomas Smith. The only detail I have for him is his marriage to Lucy Fleming qt St James in 1796. He later moved to London. His son, James emigrated to Australia in 1830.

The record for the marriage shows "Walcot" next to his name. But all searches to date don't reveal anything else, based on this information. Perhaps someone from this thread might be able to assist?

radstockjeff
03-07-2014, 2:54 PM
Bath Post Office Directory 1872
Seth Smith Gentleman 11 Southcot Place (Lyncombe Hill)

radstockjeff