PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Griffin and William Owen

Cassie2008
14-05-2008, 12:53 PM
Hi
I have recently received a marriage certificate I ordered for James Owen and Mary Griffin my 3 x great grandparents. Their fathers are named as William Owen Labourer and Thomas Griffin (I think it says slatemaker). The marriage took place at Stonesfield Oxford 1846. I am now looking for the best way of tracing William Owen and Thomas Griffin. The two witnesses were James Stone and Eleanor Griffin. James Owen's residence was Hempton at the time of marriage and Mary Griffin Stonesfield. Which is the best way of trying to trace further back. Is there a register that I can purchase? Thanks very much.

janbooth
14-05-2008, 2:23 PM
Cassie,

From the OFHS PR Transcripts of Stonesfield:

17 September 1820 Mary daughter Thomas & Elinor GRIFFIN, Slatedigger baptised.

16 January 1817 Thomas GRIFFIN, bach married Eleanor HOUNSLOW, spin, botp. Thomas made his mark. Witnesses: James GRIFFIN Dinah OLIVER Samuel HOUNSLOW

Several other siblings and it looks as if the GRIFFINs go back in Stonesfield to the early 1700's.

From PR Transcripts of Deddington:

6 February 1825 James son William & Elizabeth OWEN, labourer, Hempton baptised.

There are also baptisms at Deddington for James & Mary's children from 1849.

Stonesfield, Deddington and various other parishes are available to purchase online from Oxfordshire FHS on CD (Woodstock 02).

HTH

Janet

Peter Goodey
14-05-2008, 2:31 PM
Pound to a penny the witness James STONE was the current crush of the other witness Eleanor GRIFFIN :D :D :D

Marriages Sep 1847

Gardner James Woodstock 16 233
Griffin Eleanor Woodstock 16 233
HARPER Anne Woodstock 16 233
Langham John Woodstock 16 233
MARSHALL Sarah Woodstock 16 233
ROBERTS Thomas Woodstock 16 233
SMITH Maria Woodstock 16 233
STONE James Woodstock 16 233

Cassie2008
15-05-2008, 4:55 AM
Hi Thank you very much for the information regarding Thomas and William. It has given me a lot more to go on, and also the baptism date etc for Mary. I am looking forward to puchasing the CD. Do you go online to the Oxfordshire site to purchase it?

The info regarding James Stone marrying Eleanor Griffin has made me laugh because it is the third marriage certificate I have bought where the witnesses have ended up marrying each other.

Thank you very much for the help. It is very much appreciated. I was getting a little bit frustrated and wondering where to look to be sure I had the correct Thomas and William, having to guess dates of birth etc.

janbooth
15-05-2008, 12:05 PM
Yes Cassie, go to the site, look for CD publications and take it from there.

Good luck

Janet