PDA

View Full Version : How did they get to be Married in Norwich Cathedral

Debbie Bozkurt
13-05-2008, 6:24 PM
I have a couple I think maybe my 6 Great Grandparents, James Elmer and Sarah Alderton. The AT transcription says, James Elmer of Fundenhall and Sarah Alderton of Ashwellthorpe married in 1723, the Cathedral at Norwich.

As far as I am aware they were prob. AG labouring families as their descendants certainly were so how did they come to be able to marry in a Cathedral.

Very puzzled person :confused:as was brought up in my mother's Jewish faith and had assumed you had to be really important to marry in a Cathedral.

Does anyone know about the procedures of marrying in a Cathedral in the early 1700s or know of any further records I can look up. Or even know of this family.

My first thought was perhaps the family at the time was reasonably well off and then the off-spring were not but I couldn't find James Elmer on-line in any archives.

Any help would be gratefully accepted.

Thanks

Debbie

Jan1954
13-05-2008, 6:42 PM
Hello Debbie,

I can't speak for Norwich, but St Albans Cathedral's full title is "The Parish, Cathedral and Abbey Church of St Alban".

It is primarily a Parish Church (my mother was baptised there as she lived in the parish) and historically, was also used as a place for markets and meetings. It was the first church to have been built in St Albans and therefore the first Parish Church. The other Parish Churches that are now in St Albans weren't in St Albans initially - they were in the surrounding villages and have been swallowed up by the city- if you see what I mean... :confused:

You may find that Norwich has a similar history.

Mutley
13-05-2008, 11:43 PM
Cathedral
The principal church in a diocese, so called because in it the bishop has his official chair (Cathedra) or throne.
Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)

My lot were poorer than poor but still married in a London Cathedral because it was their local Parish Church.

It is not who you are but where you are that enables you to enjoy that privilege. :)

Andrew Mead
14-05-2008, 5:08 AM
Some cathedrals are only cathedrals - e.g. Bristol. Others are also the local parish church - e.g. Sheffield (and St Albans above). Don't know about Norwich! James might have been an AgLab, but this might have meant working for the cathedral which probably owned land locally, and so might have qualified him for marriage there - speculation!

Geoffers
14-05-2008, 7:34 AM
I have a couple I think maybe my 6 Great Grandparents, James Elmer and Sarah Alderton. The AT transcription says, James Elmer of Fundenhall and Sarah Alderton of Ashwellthorpe married in 1723, the Cathedral at Norwich. As far as I am aware they were prob. AG labouring families

First, do check for the variant spelling AYLMER in Norfolk.

The Board of Stamps, Apprenticeship Books (IR1/46 f99 - original page number 94, entry 37) show a James ELMER of Fundenhall, Master Butcher as having an apprentice Saml KETT of Fundenhall in 1720.

According to NROCAT, a James ELMER, butcher of Fundenhall left a will in 1728.

Perhaps your family weren't always ag.labs? Being a butcher, perhaps James had a trading connection with Norwich, perhaps he was a social climber and wanted his family to marry in the cathedral?

Do the cathedral records show anything of interest?

Debbie Bozkurt
15-05-2008, 6:23 AM
According to NROCAT, a James ELMER, butcher of Fundenhall left a will in 1728.

Thank you I will check that will, I assume I can send off for it, maybe its on the National Archive Site. It couldn't be the James I quoted as his children were born after that date but it maybe his father and could mention other members of the family.

Thanks again

Debbie

Geoffers
15-05-2008, 7:46 AM
Thank you I will check that will, I assume I can send off for it,

The NRO may well be able to provide a photocopy

maybe its on the National Archive Site.

No. The 1728 will was proved at Norwich Consistory Court. The National Archives only has PCC wills.

It couldn't be the James I quoted as his children were born after that date but it maybe his father and could mention other members of the family.

Excatly, it also hints that at some time, the family was slightly higher up the ladder than ag.labs