PDA

View Full Version : George Frederick Jacobs

deespanner
12-05-2008, 8:13 PM
I know Jacobs is a very popular name but I am trying to find where the Jewish connection in our family comes from but the problem I have is that there are many Jacobs in my family and the thing is where or who was the Jacobs who came into the family that has the Jewish connections.

I’m not sure but my way of thinking which is probably the wrong one is to go back as far as I can to when the Jacobs line started and go from there, maybe im wrong. But I can not seem to trace them back that far, the one that I have got back to is George Jacobs born around 1830 in Salisbury and he married Mary Ann Robertson in Shoreditch 21 Feb 1861 year could be 1869 though.

This probably sounds to you and lots of others a very strange thing i want to find out but it is something in the family that has been mentioned over the years and my second cousin confirmed that we are of Jewish decent but like me doesn’t know where we start to look to find out. I have also been told that there are and was thousands of Jewish families with the surname Jacobs in the Lambeth area where most of the Jacobs i have managed to find come from including myself and my immediate family. So i am totally lost and maybe i am being a bit too adventurous in my search.

If anybody out there can tell me what to do or how i go about it i really would appreciate it and also want to prove to my Mum who was a Jacobs before she married my Dad that yes she is of Jewish decent, and boy you only have to look at family photos of the Jacobs family through the ages that you can see it is there.

If anyone out there has any ideas where I can start I would appreciate any help available, I have looked up all the sites to do with Jewish Connections but either I am having trouble navigating the sites or do not know where to or if I can post my request as I don’t have all the names in the family, so am I on a pointless journey?

sandiep
12-05-2008, 8:58 PM
the only way to do it is to work your way back..........you need to find George & Mary,s marriage cert which would then give you his fathers name.............have you been able to find them in any census?

I had similar experience with hubbies family and it did take me while and I did get some good help on here and rootschat.............I dont think Mary Ann Robertson sounds very Jewish..........but this could be the marriage that went outside the faith.

I have some jewish records and will have a look tommorrow for george but as you say Jacobs is a common surname I have 2 differant families with that surname!!

sandie Course George,s birth cert would be best.

sandiep
12-05-2008, 9:08 PM
there is a marriage of a Mary Ann Robertson to a George Frederick Jacobs in the Jan/Feb//Mar quarter of 1860 Shoreditch Vol 1c Page 362 if you send for this we would then have fathers name and could work back

sandie

deespanner
12-05-2008, 10:12 PM
Thank you Sandie
I am sure that is the right one by the records i have i dont have the cert as the one i sent off for was the wrong couple typical!!, will send for this one. As i said in my original msg its hard to go back my Grandads birth certificate was or is a little piece of faded brown paper but i know who his parents were, his father James Jacobs is the one that is hard to follow and when you get a lead from him to George well just stops its a nightmare, i will send for the certificate and will come back and let you know what i find out, i am really new to this bit, as i have my Dads tree back to 125AD but was very lucky to have that given too me as for Mums side well i think they were aliens lol. Thank you for your help and i will be back as soon as i have the certificate.
best wishes
Dee

v.wells
12-05-2008, 10:17 PM
deespanner
Perhaps if you scan your grandfather's birth certificate, you will be able to enhance it enough to read what's on it? It's worth a try:)

sandiep
13-05-2008, 8:30 PM
that agood idea V. its often easier to see images after scanning if you put it in a photo programme you can enlarge it.

Deespanner do you any of the census info? I think I have him in 1871 if you need it

sandie

deespanner
13-05-2008, 8:59 PM
Hi Sandie
No i dont have any of the 1871 census info and would be very gratefull if you could give me any details you have.
many thanks
Dee