PDA

View Full Version : Northamptonshire 1891 Census - HELP!!!

Jane Aires
27-12-2004, 5:47 PM
Would S.K.S. be good enough to do a look up for me in the 1891 census please?

I am looking for the Frost family - headed up by John Frost, a Butcher by trade.

In 1851 John was with his grandparents in Ashby St Ledger, Northamptonshire and it is likely he is the John Frost who was baptised in Ashby St Ledger on 16 August 1840.

In 1881 John and his family (wife's name Anne) were living at 14 Waterloo Street, Daventry, and John is recorded as a Butcher.

In November 1892, the daughter Emily gave her address as 69 Talbot Road, Northampton on her marriage certificate. Whether this was the family address or the address where Emily was in service I do not know. John Frost is described as Butcher Journeyman on the certificate.

Emily Frost (who was my great grandmother) was baptised in Welton in 1869, although I have yet to find her birth recorded officially.

Daventry would certainly be the first place I would look for the Frost family in 1891 as although Emily married at Northampton Register Office, another daughter - Clara married in Daventry in 1896.

I feel as though I have been chasing this family across the county, and I am really struggling as they appear to have been very lax with registering births!!! It is possible that there is some scandal there too as the only marriage for a John Frost that could fit that I have found so far took place several months after the baptism of daughter Clara, and the bride's surname was Frost too!!!! This certificate is on order from the ONS so hopefully this part of the mystery will be sorted out soon!
!!!!!!!!!

Annie
27-12-2004, 7:43 PM
Hi Jane

I've found your John Frost and wife Anne in Daventry on the 1891 census also on the 1871 census in Welton. Let me know if you would like the images

Annie

Jane Aires
28-12-2004, 1:23 PM
Hi Annie!

Thank you - that would be wonderful!! My email address is [email protected]

Thanks so much for taking the time and trouble to help - I really appreciate it!

Kindest regards

Jane

indigo
24-04-2005, 12:04 AM
I hope someone out there can help me with this:

My grandfather Thomas Bennett (born 1857) married Elizabeth Gawthorne (born 1864).

The marriage took place March 29, 1880, in Roade, Northamptonshire, England.

I am trying to find out where the PARENTS of Elizabeth Gawthorne were born.

I am having no luck at all....I want to make a trip from Canada to the Uk to visit the birth sites of my grandparents and great grandparents.

Hoping someone out there has information that may help.
Thankyou
'indigo'

janbooth
24-04-2005, 11:39 AM
Could this be Elizabeth and family in the 1871 census of Roade, Northants:

PRO Ref: RG 10/1479, folio 65, page 17
Roade, The Village
Schedule 109

Edward GAWTHORN Head Mar 51 Ag Lab Northampton Roade
Agnes GAWTHORN Wife Mar 44 Labourers Wife Westmorland Kendal
George GAWTHORN Son 13 Ag Lab Northampton Roade
Henry GAWTHORN Son 8 Scholar do do
Elizabeth GAWTHORN Daur 7 Scholar do do
Fanny GAWTHORN Daur 4 do do
Francis GAWTHORN Son 3 do do
John GAWTHORN Son 4 mo do do
Edward WESTLEY Step son 23 Westmorland Kendal
Stephen WESTLEY do 12 Northampton Roade

Hope this helps.

Janet.

indigo
27-04-2005, 3:40 AM
Janbooth.....thankyou so much.....yes...it is the family I am looking for.....
Now I just need to find out where the heck those Westley kids appeared from!!! It would appear that Agnes Gawthorn had a previous marriage...something I was also unaware of.......

Will keep plugging here.......
Thanks again....
Jane