PDA

View Full Version : Could he be an Orangeman?

Anne W
11-05-2008, 3:22 AM
I'm trying to identify an old photo that was found amongst my mothers things. No one in the family knows who he is! I would love to send an image of the photo but our scanner isn't working at the moment.
The photo is of a gentleman from approximately 1915 -1920. It is a photo taken of an old photo so the colour isn't great. He is dressed in a dark suit and tie and around his neck is a dark orange sash (plain, no fringes etc) with a silver harp pinned on the left hand side. Is this the regalia of an Orangeman?
My Grandmother's family, the McCambley's, were Scot-Irish from Ulster. They moved to Scotland when my grandmother was a baby. This could be her father Alexander Mc Cambley, though I've never heard a single family story about involvement in the Orangemen.
Can anyone help?

BAK51
11-05-2008, 12:42 PM
Hi Anne -

I also have a scanner problem and have taken digital photo's of documents & pictures with some success (at least for information purposes). If you have a digital camera, set it on close up and with a steady hand, it may work out.

BAK

Jan1954
11-05-2008, 12:58 PM
Is it like those worn here: http://www.grandorangelodge.co.uk/parades/orangeman_on_parade.html

Anne W
11-05-2008, 1:27 PM
The sash is the same style and worn the same way only a much darker shade of orange and no fringes at all. I think old photos were coloured by hand weren't they? I thought that the silver harp shaped pin might be a clue.
Thanks Anne

Anne W
12-05-2008, 9:04 AM
I can report a success! The Grand Orange Lodge of Scotland has confirmed that my gentleman is wearing the "Orange Sash" worn by their members of the period. So I had my original query in the wrong forum. Trouble is, until 2 hours ago, I didn't even know there WAS a Grand Orange Lodge of Scotland!
Anne