PDA

View Full Version : Paddington, London

Browneyes
10-05-2008, 1:37 PM
Does anyone know any good online sources for information or photos (apart from Francis Frith) about Paddington...in particular Queen's Park...immediately after WWII? My Grandparents and family lived there. Thanks.

Browneyes.

Browneyes
10-05-2008, 8:50 PM
Thought I'd share what I found on my 'travels' online today (hope I'm forgiven for posting twice :o)

The County of London Plan (1943) was devised for rebuilding/reconstructing roadways and providing 'open spaces' after the war.

www.
btinternet.com/~roads/lon_mway/abercrombie.html
www.
londonlandscape.gre.ac.uk/1943.htm

After the passage of the Town and Country Planning Act 1947, each local authority was required to produce a development plan. The LCC plan was published in 1951 as the Administrative County of London Development Plan.8 www.
londonlandscape.gre.ac.uk/1951.htm

There was a massive movement of people from the centre of London (scroll down to 'The Greater London Plan in detail)

www.
haroldhill.org/chapter-one/now-we-must-rebuild-the-greater-london-plan-1944.htm

and

www.
movinghistory.ac.uk/homefront/themes/reconstruction.html

:) But still looking specifically for Paddington....

Browneyes

Mutley
11-05-2008, 7:37 PM
Have you tried Westminster City Archives?
www.
westminster.gov.uk/libraries/archives/

The Library cuttings collection
www.
westminster.gov.uk/libraries/archives/indexes/guide/guide03.cfm

Look at the Other Information section here:
www.
familia.org.uk/services/london/westminster.html#OTHINFO

Peter Goodey
12-05-2008, 6:43 AM
Paddington is indeed in Westminster but Queens Park is in the London Borough of Brent.

Browneyes' genealogical travels will surely bring him or her to London in due course and good places to browse for pictures, in addition to Westminster City Archives mentioned by Mutley, would be the London Metropolitan Archives and Brent Borough Archives.

Colin Moretti
12-05-2008, 7:51 AM
These are present-day so not exactly what you want, but they might help
www.
geograph.org.uk/search.php?i=2693172

Colin

Chipp'n'Dale
07-06-2008, 11:23 AM
Not sure if this will help, but there is a book available about Queens Park. It can be got via Amazon and probably all good retailers (although if you aren't in the area they will probably need to order it). It's ISBN is 978-1860774164.

Browneyes
24-06-2008, 9:09 PM
Thank you for all the replies. I'll look into them at the weekend.

:)

Browneyes