PDA

View Full Version : Whitlock Family of Silverstone

Jo-Jo
10-05-2008, 11:06 AM
If anyone is researching this name, I would be pleased to hear from them. I am looking for the family of Frances Lily Whitlock, born in 1915.
Jo-Jo

Sandyhall
10-05-2008, 11:15 AM
Hi Jo-Jo

You don't have where you are listed but I may be able to help as I live near to Silverstone. Do you want to come forwards in time to now or are you looking to go backwards in time ?? let me know. I may be able to look at the parish records at the Library if you want to go back.

Sandy.

Jo-Jo
11-05-2008, 9:02 PM
Hello Sandy, Many thanks for your reply. I am interested in tracing this family back in time. I think that Frances' parents were William Whitlock and Sarah Dunkley, having found her birth on Free BMD, where it gives the mother's surname. If you can confirm this it would be a great help. Frances was my aunt and godmother.
Joan.

Sandyhall
12-05-2008, 10:29 AM
I think that Frances' parents were William Whitlock and Sarah Dunkley, having found her birth on Free BMD, where it gives the mother's surname. If you can confirm this it would be a great help. Frances was my aunt and godmother.
Joan.

Have PM you some more info
This may sound like a silly question but you say that you think Frances Lily's parents are William and Sarah, and that she is your Aunt, do you know your Grand Parents names for your parents as they should be the same. Is she your aunt on your mother or your fathers side of the family?
You could buy the birth cert. and that would give you her parents names.
Do you have any other family names ie other Aunts and Uncles

Sandy

Jo-Jo
16-05-2008, 5:00 PM
Hello Sandy, Thank you very much for the information on the Whitlock family. Frances Lily was my aunt through marriage. She married my father's brother so there is no surname link. I'm almost certain that William and Sarah must have been her parents and one clue, which came from the information you provided, was the name of a sibling, Donald, which is a name she gave to one of her own children.
Thank you once again.
Jo-Jo

Sandyhall
17-05-2008, 10:34 AM
Hi Jo-Jo
I managed to get to the Libary at the begining of the week and found a book about Silverstone called "An Historical Mosaic" If you are anywhere in this country you can ask your local Libary to get a copy of it for you(usually costs £3.50p). Much of it is the History of Silverstone but it has some photo's one of a Mr Dunkley, also mentions W. Whitlock and sons Timberyard, also a document from 1810 the Duke of Grafton made a payment of £5 to John Varney, John Whitlock and company.(this document is in Northamptonshire Record Office)
It seams the Whitlock family is mostly from around this area Silverstone and Whittlebury (just a stones throw up the road)
If you want to go further back I know Brackley Libary has Silverstone Parish Records that I can look at for you, let me know.

Sandy

Jo-Jo
18-05-2008, 11:30 AM
Many thanks Sandy. I will see how far back I can trace Frances Lily's family using the internet. Perhaps I could take up your offer of further help if I do not progress very far.
Kind regards, Jo-Jo.

Sandyhall
19-05-2008, 9:07 AM
Hi Jo Jo

Any time just give me a shout, I go to the Library once a week.

Sandy

ausiejude
21-05-2008, 11:44 PM
Hi Jo Jo and Sandy,
Have just come across your entry and wanted to say that I am tracing the Whitlock family from Brackley. My great grandmother was Rebecca Whitlock who married Walter Ives from Great Waltham, Essex. According to family history he was a builder who did some work on a Lord House in Brackley and that is how they met. After marriage they came to Sydney and there were 3 sons born here. I know that Rebecca was the daughter of John Whitlock and Elizabeth nee Archer..............Rebecca had 4 brothers Frederick, Ben, Tom, & Harry. Frederick married Rachel Oddie and had 6 children Arthur, Percy, Ernest, Edith, Will & Harry. If you can see any connection to your family of Whitlocks please contact me, as I am happy to share information.

Judy (ausiejude)

Jo-Jo
26-05-2008, 3:31 PM
Hello Judy. I have only recently started to research the Whitlocks and so far have only gone back to around 1820. All those in my tree are from Silverstone, but with Brackley being just a few miles away, the families might merge at some point. If I find that they do I will contact you.
Jo-Jo.

ausiejude
27-05-2008, 3:30 AM
Hi Jo-Jo,
My research has been done over 20 -25 years ago and all by mail, have just discovered this wonderful site and posted here. I only realised the other day that my John Whitlock wasn't born in Brackley but in Syresham, which is I gather not far from the area that your family came from. My John Whitlock was married to Elizabeth Archer and she was born in Brackley where they were married, and I guess settled there, in the 1881 census they are in High Street, Brackley. John was listed as a retired Wesleyan Preacher and grocer. I also know that John's father was William but nothing more about his ancestors.
Regards,
Judy (ausiejude)

Sandyhall
27-05-2008, 1:39 PM
JO JO

I have just had to look something up in the Phone Book and looked for Whitlocks in there. There are 6 people in there do you still have relatives living there I can PM you the names and address if you want

Sandy

Jo-Jo
02-06-2008, 1:10 PM
Thanks Sandy, but I don't know any Whitlocks living in Silverstone today.
Jo-Jo

Jo-Jo
02-06-2008, 1:31 PM
Hello Judy, I have found John and his family on the earlier censuses. In 1861 he has children Benjamin 11, Frederick 7, John 6 months and Rebecca 8. His occupation is shown as: gardener, grocer, butcher. Unfortunately I still can't find a link with the Silverstone Whitlocks. The earliest one I have is George, born 1822, the same year as John.
Jo-Jo.

janbooth
02-06-2008, 1:50 PM
Jo Jo,

In the Northants Marriage Index 1700-1837 there are many marriages of WHITLOCKs from Silverstone, too numerous to mention all of them here. It could be well worth your while purchasing the CD to trace your particular family of WHITLOCKs further back.

Janet

Jo-Jo
04-06-2008, 12:51 PM
Thanks Janet, that's certainly worth knowing.
Jo-Jo.

diannehayle
05-04-2011, 5:47 PM
HELLO well I too am researching the whitlock family, my grandma was Lizzie whitlock from silverstone northants. I have some data but need to collate it.

diannehayle
05-04-2011, 6:02 PM
My relatives include: Dunkleys, Whitlock and Hayles, also varney thru marriage. If I can help then please do not hesitate to ask. Have done a lot of research so may be able to help.

Jo-Jo
19-04-2011, 2:23 PM
Hello Dianne,
Was your grandmother, Lizzie Whitlock, the daughter of William and Sarah?
If this is the case then we are researching the same line.
Regards Joan.

diannehayle
03-11-2011, 4:55 PM
Have not been on the net for a while. Have loads of Whitlock names etc because my grandma was Lizzie Hayle {nee Whitlock} and my great grandma was Sara Whitlock {nee Dunkley} I am not sure how to get this info to you. I can write some on here or can send you an email.

diannehayle
03-11-2011, 5:02 PM
Did you once live in Silverstone Janet.

janbooth
04-11-2011, 10:42 AM
No, it is one of the places and counties I have never ended up in, even though my Dad had itchy feet and moved around a lot! I am interested in Northamptonshire because ancestors, both maternal (from Peterborough & area) & paternal way back in the 1600's, lived there.

Janet

diannehayle
04-11-2011, 5:19 PM
These are some of my relatives maybe some names or dates may ring a bell. Thomas Whitlock 1855 wfe Mary Hayle 1845 .Mary was the mother of William 1879 who married Sarah 1877 nee dunkley} some of their children were Bill 1899, Thomas 1898 and my grandma Lizzie 1896. Lizzie married Charlie Hayle 1890. There are numerous papers that I have thru research. One thing I do remember is that my dad used to talk about Aunt Francis. I have yet to discover how many children were actually born to William and \sarah, a lot methinks.

sue siddles
27-06-2012, 12:14 AM
Hi, I am looking for Whitlocks related to William born 1801 in Silverstone, my ggggrandfather. I'd like to know who his father was. Any ideas? Thanks

diannehayle
02-07-2012, 6:35 PM
Hi, well I have a lot of paperwork as whitlock features in my family tree. My Grandma was a Whitlock. I will dig it all out and see what I can come up with. Soon as I can I will contact you. Funny thing is my husband has a friend living in Napier, what a coincidence. You may be one of my long lost relatives. Regards Dianne.

Jo-Jo
03-07-2012, 2:20 PM
Hello Dianne,
The aunt Frances your father used to talk about was also my aunt and godmother. She married my father's brother
William (Bill) Allen and they lived at Grafton Regis where she ran the local post office. She and Bill had five children
who are my first cousins and would have been your father's first cousins as well.
Regards,
Joan

sue siddles
03-07-2012, 11:47 PM
Hi Dianne, thanks for the reply. I'd also be interested if you have any info. on George, born 1867 my ggrandfather.. I have his birth and marriage certificates. I know his parents were Joseph Whitlock and Emma (Simpson), but when he married, Emma Saveall, he was living with William, perhaps his brother, cousin or uncle, and gave his father's name as Charles. He left his family in about 1916 and was believed dead by his daughters. He actually died in 1935/6. He was a bit elusive and may have had a second family.
There are alot of Whitlocks in Napier, but from a more illustrious branch of the family, Nottingham mostly.
Regards, Sue

treenie
28-08-2012, 10:02 AM
I have a frances Ann Whitlock in my family tree on the silverstone branch. When I'm next round my mum's I'll have a look to see if they are all connected

sue siddles
29-08-2012, 12:40 AM
Thanks Treenie, any info. welcome. I can't see a Francis on my tree, but she could well be a wife or daughter of one of the brothers I haven't researched. There are so many Whitlocks!