PDA

View Full Version : Irish relatives popping out of the Woodwork!

Mary S (WA)
10-05-2008, 10:55 AM
Thank you for all your help! I have discovered - by dint of guessing Christian names and Yr of birth, and using the names and address of my gt grandparents in Co Mayo - that my grandfather James had at least 6 brothers and sisters. (I could not get similar info from BMD in Co Cork for maternal side).
I have bought quite a few unrelated birth details so if anyone else has 'Bradley" antecedents in Mayo you are welcome to use them.
What I need help with now is finding out how and when they went to Blackburn Lancashire. On my grandfather's Roll of Honour (WW1) 1915 it mentions next of kin as his father Patrick Bradley of Ballycroy, Mayo. Using that info I found Patrick's marriage to Alice McHugh, his father Michael's birth and marriage detials. The 7 children I have found are James, Mary, Anne, Francis, Alice, Peter and Bridget (so far!). I know some ended up in Blackburn. Where do I go next?
Cheers Mary S

JNicLiam
11-05-2008, 4:03 PM
Have you looked Patrick Bradley up on the 1911 census? This gives the number of living children of the marriage which would at least give you an idea of how many you should be looking for. Currently you can see the 1911 census on microfilm from the Mormons alternatively you could wait until it comes free on line at http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/ Currently only Dublin is up on the site and in theory Mayo should be up by the end of the year. After that is up for the complete country North and South, they plan to put up the 1901 census also for free. That may also give you some useful information. Again the 1901 census is available on microfilm from the Mormons.

Jill

Mary S (WA)
11-05-2008, 5:19 PM
Have you looked Patrick Bradley up on the 1911 census? This gives the number of living children of the marriage which would at least give you an idea of how many you should be looking for. Currently you can see the 1911 census on microfilm from the Mormons alternatively you could wait until it comes free on line at http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/ Currently only Dublin is up on the site and in theory Mayo should be up by the end of the year. After that is up for the complete country North and South, they plan to put up the 1901 census also for free. That may also give you some useful information. Again the 1901 census is available on microfilm from the Mormons.

Jill

Thank you. How do I get this info from Mormon sites? Does the 1901 Census you mentioned cover Mayo in Ireland or it the British one? Since Patrick Bradley is mentioned as Next of kin, with an address in 1915 still Mayo, I presume they would still have been in Ireland . Perhaps some of the younger ones had spread their wings looking for a better life???

v.wells
11-05-2008, 5:26 PM
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/ has the 1911 Irish census - don't know about Mayo though. Have a look.

www.familysearch.org for LDS info. Select IGI in the search field.

LeeBradley
03-07-2013, 4:45 PM
Thank you for all your help! I have discovered - by dint of guessing Christian names and Yr of birth, and using the names and address of my gt grandparents in Co Mayo - that my grandfather James had at least 6 brothers and sisters. (I could not get similar info from BMD in Co Cork for maternal side).
I have bought quite a few unrelated birth details so if anyone else has 'Bradley" antecedents in Mayo you are welcome to use them.
What I need help with now is finding out how and when they went to Blackburn Lancashire. On my grandfather's Roll of Honour (WW1) 1915 it mentions next of kin as his father Patrick Bradley of Ballycroy, Mayo. Using that info I found Patrick's marriage to Alice McHugh, his father Michael's birth and marriage detials. The 7 children I have found are James, Mary, Anne, Francis, Alice, Peter and Bridget (so far!). I know some ended up in Blackburn. Where do I go next?
Cheers Mary S

I believe that i am related to you via peter bradley, son of patrick bradley and Alice Mchugh, i believe that in1908 james sisters Alice and Mary went via ship to the usa records available, my great grandfather peter with brother john ended up in stoke on trent working in turn for 6 months and caring for a farm in Ireland my research is early ,so any help you can provide would be welcome thank you Lee:wink:

Ladkyis
03-07-2013, 6:33 PM
Lee, Mary S (WA) has not visited the forum since 2010 so I think the best thing to do is to click on the name in one of her posts above and then click on Private Message. This should generate an email from the forum to tell her that she has a message and then she can get in touch.

We just have to hope that she is still using the same email address.