PDA

View Full Version : MARSHALL / SPICK

Paul Marshall
10-05-2008, 7:08 AM
Looking for any information regarding the descendants of Thomas MARSHALL and Sarah SPICK, who were married in 1865 in Southwell, Notts.

They had 8 children born between 1865 and 1889. It has been said that Thomas and Sarah may have died in a house fire at a farm in Stapleford, some time around 1895 - can anyone verify this ?

The family were in Bramcote in 1891.

The 2 youngest children, Alice & James, were adopted by the eldest son, John and his wife, Dinah HERBERT.

The second son, Francis, was my gtgrandfather and he moved to Chesterfield and married Sarah Hannah HAYES in 1893.

I can find no trace of the other 4 children after 1891 ...

Any help appreciated,

Thank you,

Paul Marshall

Jan1954
10-05-2008, 9:43 AM
The deaths of Thomas and Sarah may be these:

Deaths Mar 1895
Marshall Sarah 49 Shardlow 7b 356

Deaths Jun 1895
MARSHALL Thomas 52 Shardlow 7b 254

The quarters are consecutive and, if Sarah died at the end of March and Thomas at the beginning of April, they would fit. Shardlow is also the registration district for Stapleford.

You could try ordering the certificates to see what clues they hold, but at least the above could help to pin down a date for any newspaper reports of the fire.

janbooth
10-05-2008, 12:29 PM
Hello Paul,

From the Notts FHS Burial Index:

11 February 1895 at Bramcote Sarah MARSHALL, aged 49 of Bramcote
26 June 1895 at Bramcote Thomas MARSHALL, aged 52 of Bramcote.

Bramcote is in Shardlow registration district, so it looks as if these could be the 2 death registrations that Jan found and are your Thomas & Sarah.

HTH

Janet

Paul Marshall
10-05-2008, 1:19 PM
Deaths Mar 1895
Marshall Sarah 49 Shardlow 7b 356

Deaths Jun 1895
MARSHALL Thomas 52 Shardlow 7b 254

Hi Jan,

Thanks for your reply.

I did find these death registrations which do seem to fit. I was going to send for the certificates but then I found the Bramcote burial registers online at

http://www.broxtowehundred.co.uk/bramdea.htm

This shows that Sarah was buried February 11, 1895, age 49, and Thomas was buried June 26, 1895, age 52.

Both buried in Bramcote - would they have been buried in the grounds of the Parish Church ? Was there a local cemetery ?

I cannot find another Thomas & Sarah who died in the same quarter and in the same area around that time ...

The scant information I have about the house fire came from someone who contacted me on GR some years ago who I have since lost touch with (at the time I didn't realise this was my gtgrandfathers family, I had been following another MARSHALL line which later proved to be the wrong one !)

I have also read some old archived messages (from 2001) on rootsweb from a lady who is the grandaughter of Alice, the youngest child of Thomas & Sarah. (Her e-mail address is out of date and I am unable to contact her).

She wrote "My grandmother was under the impression that her parents died in a farm fire in Stapleford."

The lady's name is Dorothy Rason - if anyone has her current e-mail address I would very much like to contact her.

I have very little information to go on - my father has very little knowledge as he was brought up by his mother who never spoke of her estranged husband's family. There is another story there ...

Thanks again for your time - any clues as to what became of this family would be most welcome ...

Kind regards,

Paul Marshall

Paul Marshall
10-05-2008, 1:22 PM
Hello Paul,

From the Notts FHS Burial Index:

11 February 1895 at Bramcote Sarah MARSHALL, aged 49 of Bramcote
26 June 1895 at Bramcote Thomas MARSHALL, aged 52 of Bramcote.

Bramcote is in Shardlow registration district, so it looks as if these could be the 2 death registrations that Jan found and are your Thomas & Sarah.

HTH

Janet

Thanks Janet,

Does the Burial Index say where they were buried or just Bramcote ?

Paul