PDA

View Full Version : Detective Sgt Amos ATKINSON

lee58
09-05-2008, 9:56 AM
Any clues where I should look for this mans records please.
I cant find him in the Met Police.

1878 Marriage Cert. occupation Detective Officer.Living in Paddington
1879 Sons birth Cert occupation Detective Sgt of Police living Paddington Middlesex
1881 Census was living at Kensington Middlesex occupation Police Sgt
1891 Census was living Chelsea Middlesex occupation Police Sgt
1901 Census occupation Met Police Pensioner
|idea|
Grateful for any help with this one.
Thankyou Lee58

Peter Goodey
09-05-2008, 10:04 AM
This research guide explains the situation:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=104

Your ancestor's records are not online. Someone will have to search in person at the National Archives.

lee58
09-05-2008, 10:28 PM
Thank you again Peter,
You are thinking this man would have been in the Met Police and not any other constabulary?Could I ask another couple of quetions relating to this query?
Here in NZ you can pay for a 30min or a 60min search of Archives NZ by a member of the archives, was wondering if UK have the same?
and
Are there any past papers on line for the district in question that can be name searched?
Was hopeful I might find some reference to him during his period with the force. Family oral history records that he was actively involved in a murder case around Highgate during his policing career.
Thankyou again for your help
Lee58:)

Peter Goodey
10-05-2008, 7:10 AM
The districts mentioned were in the Metropolitan Police area, you say he was described as a Met Police Pensioner so it looks pretty much like the Metropolitan Police. The National Archives has a research service; independent researchers are cheaper.