PDA

View Full Version : Help! Desperate look up needed!

Titanicfan
08-05-2008, 7:30 PM
I'm pulling my hair out with this one! I'm researching one of my ancestors who was born in India as a British subject in 1826. I've searched on FIBIS, placed a message on Rootsweb India, searched on Findmypast overseas regs. and I've searched on FamilySearch with no luck. I'm unable to travel to the British Library and I wondered if anyone was going there to research the East India Office records - could they please look up my ancestor for me? His name is Joseph Wale. I don't have any information about his parents - I found out that he was born in Madras, India from the 1881 British Census and from his coastguard records - it just said East Indies.

|help|

AnnB
09-05-2008, 7:01 AM
Have you tried the India Office Records at the British Library http://www.bl.uk/collections/oiocfamilyhistory/family.html ? They have a searchable online database.

Best wishes
Ann

Titanicfan
09-05-2008, 12:39 PM
Hi AnnB, yes - I searched on this database but unfortunately drew a complete blank also! :(

Angelaj
09-05-2008, 1:12 PM
Hi,
Have you tried to find their marriage? If they had children where were they born - this may help narrowing down places to search. If they married in the uk his father's name should be on the certificate.
Unless he was dead or they married without family approval.
Angelaj

bumblebee
09-05-2008, 2:30 PM
On the 1861 census it looks like he is born in East Indies, Poonamaly? Madras. Don't know if that helps.

Bumblebee

bumblebee
09-05-2008, 2:38 PM
He seems to have had two wives, as it is Edith on the 1861, but Ann E on the 1881, There is a marriage in June Quarter 1871 for a Joseph Wale in Thanet registration district with an Ann Emma Emptage on the same page. (others on the page). So as Anjelaj said a marriage certificate could at least give his father's name and occupation.

Bumblebee

Angelaj
09-05-2008, 4:03 PM
Hi,
Can't help thinking that the 1871 marriage is unlikely to give father as anything other than deceased if Joseph was born c.1826.
Angelaj

bumblebee
09-05-2008, 9:30 PM
I might have just been lucky but even when the father has been deceased on all the marriage certificates I have the father has still been named. I am not sure what the 'rule' was as regards naming deceased father's.

Bumblebee

Jan1954
09-05-2008, 9:37 PM
You may find the information about fathers named on marriage certificates helpful here: http://home.clara.net/dixons/Certificates/marriages.htm#COL8

Titanicfan
10-05-2008, 4:48 PM
Thanks, all. That is an idea. I have had the father's names on copies of marriage certificates including when they are deceased. Joseph Wale was married twice, the 1st marriage to Edith produced children - one of them being my great great grandmother. :)

mama-mia39
23-06-2008, 8:50 AM
It might be a good idea to send an e-mail to the British Library at the following address, [email protected]. They have been very helpful to me and found my great grandmother and also her father and mother in the Madras Indexes which are open to view. Just send an e-mail with your question and someone will answer you and let you know if they have the information. If they do have it, they are very helpful and will send you photocopies of the page with the details. Good luck.

Titanicfan
24-06-2008, 12:41 PM
Thanks very much for the info. I will email them straight away. :)

Titanicfan
26-06-2008, 4:00 PM
Hi Mama-Mia39 - I just want to say a big thank you. I emailed them and today they replied back to me saying that they have found my ancestor in the baptism records in Poonamallee - his father is listed as a Sergeant Major in H.M. 46th Regiment! They have offered to send me a photocopy of the record, and as you said, they have been very helpful. Success at last! |woohoo||woohoo|

mama-mia39
27-06-2008, 3:51 PM
I'm so glad you got a result. My Mum always said 'if you don't ask, you don't get' - so anything's got to be worth a try. They are very good there, - I can just imagine how pleased you are at getting what you have been looking for. My great grandfather was a Sergeant Major in the Royal Horse Artillery in Poona, but we are going to have to go to Kew to find anything about his life before he went to India, it gets so exciting!!!

Caravanner
30-01-2009, 7:37 PM
I am another person researching the Whale/Wale family. I can not throw any light on the Samuel Whale saga, although there is a possibility yet to be proved that he may have originated in Wellington,Somerset UK. Have all details of Joseph Wale b1826 India and subsequent Whale/Wale family members up to the present time. If you would like a copy of my information, email me on mandm AT swfcaravan DOT freeserve DOT co DOT uk and I will send it to you.
Regards, Michael Small

georgeinmalawi
07-01-2012, 2:11 PM
Send an e mail to John DOT Chignoli AT bl DOT uk with all the details you have he will do a check for you and send you a reply. He has been a great help to me in the past at the India Office of the British Library. Good luck

George