PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Walklett born in St Petersburg in 1862

MTChandler
07-05-2008, 9:41 PM
One of my great grandfathers was named Thomas Walklett. He is listed in the 1871 census as living in Hulme, Manchester with his mother Charlotte Walklett. The interesting thing is that Thomas is listed as being born in Russia - in a later census he is listed as being born in St Petersburg - and is a "Naturalised British Subject" but I cannot find any record of Charlotte going to Russia. In the 1871 census she is listed as being a lodger and a widow

In the 1851 census she is listed as being a servant in a household in Cheetham, Manchester with a birthplace of Liverpool in 1830/33. But there seems to be no record of her between the 1851 and 1871 census.

One of things that stands out is that she has the same last name in 1851 and later in 1871, but the 1871 says that she is a widow.

What I am really trying to find out is how I can find out when she left Britain to go to Russia. I know that there were a lot of British businesses in St Petersburg including the Russia Company also known as the Muscovy Company. Were there any records in the mid-19thC for people who left Britain? Are there any records for British subjects in Russia?

Any help or guidance would be appreciated

Peter Goodey
08-05-2008, 8:22 AM
Naturalisation sounds a bit surprising in the circumstances described.

However these research guides may help,

Naturalisation:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=242

Emigration:
(The passport registers in particular may be of assistance)

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=292#15

MTChandler
08-05-2008, 7:17 PM
"Naturalised British Subject" is what it says on the census form and in the same handwriting as all of the other entries.

Thank you for the links. I will check them out.

peter nicholl
10-05-2008, 10:24 AM
What I am really trying to find out is how I can find out when she left Britain to go to Russia. I know that there were a lot of British businesses in St Petersburg including the Russia Company also known as the Muscovy Company. Were there any records in the mid-19thC for people who left Britain? Are there any records for British subjects in Russia?

If you are anywhere near London, try the Guildhall Library, they have Russia Company BMDs covering the 19th Century.
Peter