PDA

View Full Version : ROYAL FIELD ARTILLARY - Which BATTERY?

Eviand
06-05-2008, 9:05 PM
I am in persuit of an ancestor who enlisted in the ROYAL FIELD ARTILLARY on 10 Apr 1899. I would like to know his BATTERY inorder to persue war diaries. Can anyone help?

Geoffers
06-05-2008, 9:42 PM
Do you have his service record? If not, I would suggest trying to get hold of it. The record should be found at The National Archives at Kew. You may possibly be able it order it online....what was your chap's name?

Eviand
07-05-2008, 5:09 PM
Matthew Richards born Scotter, Lincolnshire on 9 Nov 1868

Geoffers
08-05-2008, 7:53 AM
Okedoke - From there, to try and pin down where to look for his service record, do you know...........

1. If he served in WW1?

2. If he served in WW1, did he survive?

3. If he served in WW1, do you know if he left the army before 1921?

4. If he was injured in war service and if so did he recieve a pension?

5. Was he ever commissioned? Or did he remain a Warrant/Other rank?

6. If he served in WW1, do any family members have his campaign medals?

Eviand
12-05-2008, 8:14 PM
I have a copy of an ARMY RESERVE (SPECIAL RESERVISTS) ONE YEAR'S SERVICE ATTESTATION OF No.35979 Matthew RICHARDS signed in LINCOLN on 25 SEPT 1914. Several questions put to the recruit before enlistment show by response that he had completed 12 years service with the ROYAL FIELD ARTILLERY Regt No.34632. He was discharged on 29 JULY 1916 in consequence of being no longer physically fit for war service. He commenced to receive his pension aged 42 years on 6 DEC 1916 (Chelsea No.92049).

He enlisted with the RFA Regt No.34632 on 10 APR 1899 until 25 SEPT 1914 when he signed (almost simultaneously) for the RFA Res. He had seen foreign service in INDIA (5 years & 9 months) and SOUTH AFRICA (1 year & 10 months). It is not clear exactly when.

A Medical Board report dated 15 JUL 1916 describes injuries originating from his time in SOUTH AFRICA in MAR 1900. These injuries would later contribute to his discharge from the Army. The report says that "his right hand jammed between the gun and wheels going into action. Served eleven years after receiving this injury as a SHOEING SMITH. Since rejoining has done his work as a shoeing smith until he came to PORTSMOUTH when he has been employed as a GROOM ORDERLY etc. The second and ring fingers have been amputated. He is unfit for his duties as a soldier, but is quite able to do his work as a smith."

It's not clear whether GUNNER RICHARDS saw active service in WWI, but his STATEMENT OF SERVICE shows postings with RFA 58th Bde in NOV 1914 and RFA 3A Res. Bde in AUG 1915, as either GUNNER or SHOEING SMITH.