PDA

View Full Version : Windows could not start

melsibob
06-05-2008, 8:02 PM
My main computer will not work - the message I receive on screen is "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM" you can attempt to repair this file by starting windows setup using the original cdrom. Select r at the first screen to start the repair.

I have the orginal CDs - how do I actually perform this task. I have put the first cd into the computer but this do not seem to have any affect - I have to admit to not having a clue as to what I am being told to do. Is this a visit to the shop or something I can do by myself? Any help would be greatly appreciated|help|

carrie
07-05-2008, 12:43 AM
If you restart your computer with your original windows CD if gives you the option to install a new version or repair your existing one, you need to press R to repair your installation
carrie

Andrew Mead
07-05-2008, 5:15 AM
Does the computer even attempt to boot from the CD when you put it in and restart? If not, you need to run the BIOS setup at the very beginning. Different PCs need different keys to start the BIOS - e.g. 'DEL' or 'F2' - it should tell you on a very early screen display. You then need to find the 'Boot order' and make sure it is set to boot from CD as the first device, then the hard drive as second. Unless you have a bootable CD in the drive, - which is unlikely - then this order will not matter for future start ups.

keith9351
07-05-2008, 7:55 AM
Just a word of warning, I would make sure you have everything backed up before using the CD just in case it re installs back to original status.
May be Markj or one of the other experts can advise.
Keith

melsibob
07-05-2008, 6:49 PM
The computer does not even attempt to use the cd. I have everything backed up - well everything that I would be upset if I lost. Thanks for everyone's help - I will attempt to repair the computer later - and feed back any progress, Thanks again.

steve-fuff
07-05-2008, 7:00 PM
You probably don't want to hear this but the file named is actually one of the files that form the system registry. Most IT techies go a funny colour when people mention registry problems.
What you need is an IT competent person to save any data you have saved on the C: drive and a re-install. It IS possible to repair these things (sometimes) but a re-install also clears out all the old dross of installed and removed programs.

(Off duty techie)

v.wells
07-05-2008, 7:06 PM
When I had a code purple (it was a system board failure) my techie told me to never use the recovery cd's to reinstall. Techies have a special cd that allows them to bypass the failure long enough to save anything on the hard drive. They use full cd's to reinstall the whole hard drive which of course erases everything that was there previously. Take your pc to a qualified person eg the store where you got it from. Should not cost very much

melsibob
07-05-2008, 7:23 PM
well I tried the above advice and it didn't work - I am not taking anymore chances - its down to the shop in the morning. Thanks everyone. At least I still have my laptop!|sad1|