PDA

View Full Version : Pictures from all over the place

Margaret08
04-05-2008, 1:24 PM
Not sure if this is the correct place for this. I came across this on one of the lists that I belong to www.geograph.org.uk - beware it is very addictive and you can spend hours browsing

Margaret

birdlip
04-05-2008, 2:08 PM
Whoah.. I see what you mean, what a fascinating site!

susan-y
04-05-2008, 3:30 PM
|bowdown|
For geography nuts like me...what a site to browse and travel.... surely I can find where alot of my ancestors lived...so much for getting my work done. Through the pictures I have already got ideas of things to google to help my searches..i.e. names of churches..perhaps I'll find baptisims, weddings, cemetaries etc.
Sue
|scold| No housework today!!!!

apehangmom
12-05-2008, 5:01 PM
I HAVE BEEN TALKING ABOUT THIS SITE .. OMG .. It really helped me so much... I cant believe this .. It helps you to see a whole town.. See google and MSN live search doesnt have England down.. You can't see the homes as well , as you can in other parts of the states... And with this site... well You can see. You can see and actually look up the history of the homes and gardens of the places they geographed.. which is a history lesson.. It took me 4 days ... But it also helps when you are looking in the IGI records and see names of towns.. they start at a point and go 10 miles from the point ( you can use a hand held navigation system that gives you the cooridinates.. so you can put in your precise lat and Long.. to get pure accuracy. but the idea is that it plots north south East and west... SO you can see if its at least possible that a ancestor could possibly live in a town. ( being that at certian times there were no forms of transport but walking.. espcially if there were many in a family.. and they were poor .. so its possible that they could walk to another town.. and re locate.. this web sites helps you re discover the land and homes that may have been forgotten . thanz chrisitne

Browneyes
12-05-2008, 5:11 PM
beware it is very addictive and you can spend hours browsing

Margaret

Definately! I looked on the site when Colin put a specific link to it on another thread...it's a really interesting site!!

Browneyes

apehangmom
12-06-2008, 5:15 PM
I tell you that site has helped me learn the villiage of Settle.. I can see it backward and forwards.. and from Giggleswick..lol thanks chris...