PDA

View Full Version : Navy Records 1899 1903

CLIVEAnjean
04-05-2008, 8:37 AM
Hi All
Can any one tell me if I am able to find my Great grandfather's Navy records with out his service number.
The only information I have is from his Police Service records.His place of residents was at/on HMS Adaline when he applied and when he was accepted for the Police his place of residents was at/on HMS Pembroke at Chatham Kent. His Police records states that he was in the Navy for 3years and so many months. we roughly worked it out from 1899 to1903 and by looking at the years he was in the Navy it was at the time of the Boar War.
We are hoping to go to Kew next week after Next to look for this.
reagrds
Angie.

Peter Goodey
04-05-2008, 9:24 AM
Have you read this?

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=39

And have you tried Documents Online?

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/royal-navy-service.asp

If you're going to Kew, don't forget that all download stuff is free while you're there.

It looks as if things are almost back to normal at Kew so I think I'll be going myself soon:). Unfortunately the library seems to be still out of operation:(

CLIVEAnjean
04-05-2008, 7:50 PM
Thank you for replying but I have been on the said site but can not find any information on him.|banghead|I also was looking for my other great grandfather whilst I was there,who was in WW1 and can not find him either.Does this mean that thier records has not survived. I know that William Riches who we think was in the Boar War was a Stoker. I am not sure what my other Great Grand father was in the WW1, my dad thinks that he may have been a stoker too. Can not be abosolutly sure, but my Dad does recall a big Tattoo across his chest.It took seven days to complete the tattoo ans it was done with a needle and a piece of bamboo. His Name was Albert Waters. There must be records of them some where. I have a picture of my Great grandfather, Wiiliam Riches when he must have been 21 in his sailors uniform. Quiet a dashing young man. No wonder my Great grandmother fell in love with him.
Thinking you for your help
regards
Angie.

Geoffers
04-05-2008, 8:43 PM
can not find any information on him.I also was looking for my other great grandfather whilst I was there,who was in WW1 and can not find him either.Does this mean that thier records has not survived. I know that William Riches who we think was in the Boer War was a Stoker.

When and where was your chap born?

I am not sure what my other Great Grand father was in the WW1, my dad thinks that he may have been a stoker too....His Name was Albert Waters.

Same question as above

Also, were they both Royal Navy, or in the Merchant Navy?

Peter Goodey
05-05-2008, 6:50 AM
On the page...

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/royal-navy-service.asp

...did any of the suggestions in "Why can't I find an entry?" help?

CLIVEAnjean
05-05-2008, 2:16 PM
Hi Thank you for helping me.
William Riches was born 26.05.1878 Earsham he was stoker in Royal Navy. He was in there for 3 years and 6 months and was a stoker, leaving sometime in the early part of 1903 so we think he may have entered the Navy in 1899. His last place of residents was Pembroke. We think that this meant HMS Pembroke Chatham and he was living in the area at the time. In 1901 census he was at an address in Strood Kent which is not far away from Chatham.
Albert Waters. born 1.04.1890 Barming Kent. All we know is that he was in the Royal Navy in WW1 but we are unsure as to weather he joined before war broke out or he enlisted at the time of the war. I do not know when he left the Navy.

CLIVEAnjean
05-05-2008, 2:19 PM
I have been on the National Archives and the suggestion as to why I can't find them do not really apply to my two great grandfathers.
Many thanks in helping me
regards
Angie.

Geoffers
05-05-2008, 2:21 PM
Hi Thank you for helping me.
William Riches was born 26.05.1878 Earsham he was stoker in Royal Navy. He was in there for 3 years and 6 months and was a stoker, leaving sometime in the early part of 1903 so we think he may have entered the Navy in 1899.

Bearing in mind the very slight difference in the date of birth, are you sure that this is not his record (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/details-result.asp?Edoc_Id=6973491&queryType=1&resultcount=18) ??

Geoffers
05-05-2008, 2:23 PM
Albert Waters. born 1.04.1890 Barming Kent. All we know is that he was in the Royal Navy in WW1 but we are unsure as to weather he joined before war broke out or he enlisted at the time of the war. I do not know when he left the Navy.

And this looks like the entry for Albert WATERS (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/details-result.asp?Edoc_Id=7131507&queryType=1&resultcount=6)

CLIVEAnjean
05-05-2008, 3:18 PM
Hi
I have just found a record of Albert Waters giving names of Ships and billets and dates. would this be all that he would have or would there be a service records.
regards
Angie.

Peter Goodey
05-05-2008, 6:12 PM
To my mind, the records that Geoffers has found are 99% certain to be your two men.

Geoffers
05-05-2008, 8:38 PM
I have just found a record of Albert Waters giving names of Ships and billets and dates. would this be all that he would have or would there be a service records.

If the record for Albert WATERS was downloaded from TNA's documentsonline - that is his service record.

I'd be willing to bet a Pound to a Pinch that the two entries on TNA for which i provided links are your two chaps

fare y'well tergerther

ChristineR
06-05-2008, 1:08 AM
If the record for Albert WATERS was downloaded from TNA's documentsonline - that is his service record..... snip ...

I will second that - my grandad joined about the same time, and it was his service record that I downloaded from TNA - gives his complete service history from boy training until he deserted on just the one page of dates and ships. His age also varies from his true age just a little.

ChristineR

CLIVEAnjean
06-05-2008, 3:21 PM
Hi All thank you for all your help.
I did see this one but was unsure as the birth date was wrong so
I have down loaded the service records for this William Riches. I am not sure if it is him. Although the dates of when he joined and last entry conincide with the dates I have for him and his discription sounds like him apart from when he left the Navy he had grown 1 1/4 inch but having said that he was roughly 21yrs when he joined so he could had grown that last inch. Resident of Pembroke on his Police records match the Service records. The last entry reads "Shore Purchase"? If I have read this correct would this mean he bought himself out of the Navy.
Thank you once again
regards
Angie.