PDA

View Full Version : George Grove to Canada

N Grove
01-05-2008, 9:10 PM
Can anyone help please?
I am trying to find out which ship my uncle travelled on to Canada in 1920 and 1924.
I have established the years by doing a general search on FMP. I have then checked to see which ships sailed from the specific port in that year. When I search specifying the name of all the ships it does not find him.
I have done a similar search for an Aunt and that works fine.
If I pay to view the transcript or Image on the general search will this give me the information and the date of sailing?

Regards
Norman

Jfremont
02-05-2008, 12:06 AM
Based on the two years you stated, it appears George Grove sailed on the two voyages as follows;

departure from Liverpool bound for Quebec 21 June 1920 on the Tunisian
departure from Southampton bound for Quebec 7 Aug 1924 on the Minnedosa

If you go to Collections Canda site http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/archivianet/passenger/001045-100.01-e.php
you can search the passenger lists for these two voyages. Note that the dates are for arrival to the Canadian port about a week after the departure. There is no indexing so you will have to seach the pages. I have found that the in-bound records on the collectionscanada site has more information than the outbound pages on FMP.

John

N Grove
02-05-2008, 6:10 AM
Thanks John

I had used the Collections Canada Site but had not found the Tunisian when using Liverpool as port of departure. Looking at the passenger list it shows port of departure as London. This has been a great help to me, I have now found the entry for George Grove on the passenger list for the 1920 journey of the Tunisian.

How do I get to view the passenger list for the Minnedosa in 1924?

I find it very difficult searching for information in Canada especially BMD records.

Norman

Mary Anne
02-05-2008, 11:40 AM
I find it very difficult searching for information in Canada especially BMD records.

Indeed. As do all the rest of us ;)

The problem is, they are held by provincial governments. Some are online and some are not... And of course, you have to know which province your folks were IN at any given time :(

See my 3-part sticky at the top of the Canada Genealogy section for a road-map... You can often get great help from local genelaogical societies, or try the appropriate Rootseb mailing lists and you will find some very helpful folks who in many cases will do the research for you (free).

Mary Anne

N Grove
02-05-2008, 2:21 PM
Thanks Mary Anne

I am trying to find marriage details of George Grove and Christina Sked c. 1925. They were living in Manitoba and I have a wedding portrait taken by H. Henfrey, 115 Tenth St, Brandon.
When George first moved to Canada he was at Oakner. I believe that he was living in the Harding / Bradwardine area at the time of his marriage.

Where would be the best place to look please?

Norman

Mary Anne
02-05-2008, 2:35 PM
Norman

You are lucky with them being married in Manitoba. Manitoba Vital Statistics actually has an online database, and although they say you can freely look at marriage records over 80 years old (and yours is 83 :D) when I searched the database the latest record showing for a GROVE marriage was 1921. http://vitalstats.gov.mb.ca/ListView.php No Geroge and Christina! I guess they ahven't updated their database...although it may be worhtwhile doing anotehr search or 2 with different possiblities for names...

That being said, you can very likely order the certificate by writing to them...it will entail a search of their records, and I would point out that this marriage would be over 80 years ago, and therefore you should be able to get a copy without prividing proof of consent or death or whatever...only catch is it will cost you $25CDN for the search and certificate. Form to fill out and procedure here: http://vitalstats.gov.mb.ca/Genealogy.html My experience with them has been very good. They will even send you something if they DON'T find the event you are looking for - useful for elimination purposes.

Good luck

Mary Anne

Additional thought - you might try the Brandon paper for the marriage annoucment - see www.papreofrecord.com and look at the Brandon papers -- there may even be an announcement in the Winnipeg ones...this is a nice database because SEARCHABLE with some accuracy! so useful even if you don't have an exact date...

Jfremont
03-05-2008, 2:32 AM
Norman,

Unfortunately collections canada only has the passenger records to 1922. The outbound record given in FMP says: George Grove, last address in the UK Ford End, Chelmsford, 3rd class, contracted to land Quebec, farm labourer, age 24, and country of intended future resisdence Canada.

Good luck in your search, John

N Grove
03-05-2008, 6:34 AM
John

Many thanks for that information. It adds another piece to the jigsaw.

Norman