PDA

View Full Version : Death in Allegheny city 1894

Agricole
01-05-2008, 1:03 AM
My ancester, Thomas Herrington, was said to have died in an accident on the railway in Allegheny city on the 6th February 1894 in his 29th year. I would be grateful if anyone could throw light onto the Herrington family who lived in Pittsburgh at this time, or any information which may be available on the accident.

Agricole

JustJean
01-05-2008, 11:30 AM
I've no experience with requests for PA records but have heard that the Carnegie library can be a good resource. It appears they have various data that can be consulted but do charge a nominal lookup fee. Since the Federal census for 1890 no longer exists I would imagine your best bet would be to hunt down city directories (if possible) or perhaps a search in their historic newspapers would turn up an account of the railway accident or even a death notice or obit for your ancestor. A link to the library so you can read more about the data they hold and the services they can offer: http://www.clpgh.org/locations/pennsylvania/ResearchRequests.html

Of course it wouldn't hurt to look for a RAOGK volunteer in that area who might also be able to assist.

Best wishes
Jean

Agricole
02-05-2008, 9:22 AM
Thanks for your suggestions Jean. I will certainly try the Carnegie library resources. However, as l'm fairly new to research and don't undertand all of the terminology yet, could you please explain to me what a RAOGK volunteer is and how could they help me with my search for Thomas Herrington?

Thanks again
Agricole

hughar
02-05-2008, 9:28 AM
Agricole.
If you Google for RAOGK you will see that it stands for Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness