PDA

View Full Version : Matthew Brownfield

Sandra Parker
26-12-2004, 3:33 AM
Can anyone help with my brick wall? My Great Uncle Matt (by marriage) was believed to have been in the merchant navy. He went to sea in sailing ships around the 1890's and retired before WW2, the family said, as a Captain. He travelled to Asia and most probably the Americas in his time at sea.
He was always known as, and his mail was addressed to, Captain Brownfield Rtd. He died in the early 1950's. I have one photo of him, in uniform, but unfortunately without a cap. There are 8 brass buttons, in pairs down the front, and 3 broad gold stripes on the cuffs. The middle stripe has a space in it and the 2 outer stripes have an indentation, it appears as if there may be a star shape super-imposed across these stripes making it look like a missing pieces of braid. I can send a picture to explain it more clearly if required.
I'm hoping tripe has a space in it and the 2 outer stripes have an indentation, it appears as if there may be a star shape super-imposed across these stripes making it look like a missing pieces of braid. I can send a picture to explain it more clearly if required.
I'm hoping that someone may have an idea what this really does represent.
Thanks
Sandra Parker
Darwin.