PDA

View Full Version : Barnardos Home Children Records

maufleury
29-04-2008, 2:35 PM
My grandfather was a home child and Barnardos have his records. He emigrated to Canada as a young boy to be a domestic on a farm. I'm wondering if anyone on this board has ever paid for and received records from Barnardos. I am about to order my grandfather's records and I have to pay 100 pounds sterling. Is it worth it? If so, what should I receive?

Wirral
29-04-2008, 6:10 PM
. I am about to order my grandfather's records and I have to pay 100 pounds sterling.
£100 seems very expensive for information from a charity. :eek: Is that how much Barnardo's charges, or are you ordering through an intermediary?

kcapes
29-04-2008, 6:14 PM
Hello
I helped a friend to get his records, they told him everything except the bits about his twin brother that were deleted. I know its different because they were about him, but be prepared for them to upset you, my friend could'nt even discuss it.

Mutley
29-04-2008, 9:40 PM
That does seem a lot of money.

One of mine was a Home child. I have him on the census here in the UK with his parents. (A friend has hers in an institution in 1901 before leaving the UK).

We can then track the journey to Canada.

Then pick up the details from our Canadian friends. Mine's descendants contacted me through the forum giving me the information of the farm he was sent to and his life in Canada.

Before you pay that sort of money maybe you should consider telling us what you know about him and seeing if anyone can turn up some information for you.

maufleury
30-04-2008, 1:25 AM
Thank you, everyone, for your responses. Yes, the records are coming straight from Barnardos. I do know lots about my grandfather, birth certificate, death certificate, parents and siblings names, ship list, border crossing record, marriage certificate but I was always confused as to why I couldn't find him after the 1891 UK census. Recently I discovered that he had emigrated to Canada in the year 1900 and ended up as a 12 year old domestic on a farm here in Canada. Then, I found him on the ship list, as one of 109 boys destined for Toronto. The name Barnardo's party was written on one page of the original ship's manifest. From there I wrote to Barnardos and apparently they do have records on him. I really want them because I'm hoping they will have a photo of him as well as other information as to what his circumstances were prior to emigrating to Canada. However 100 pounds stirling is around two hundred Canadian dollars. I likely will order the records and once I've paid for them, it could take 9 to 12 months before I receive them. I guess a lot of people have requested records. So, as I mentioned, I hope it's worth the money!!!

Ladkyis
30-04-2008, 9:22 AM
They go through each of the records that are requested and delete information about other Barnardo children that might be in there. Perhaps he was naughty and the record shows that he was with two other boys when caught well they will remove the names of the others. It is this careful scrutiny that costs the money.
They are very careful to protect people that have been in their care. They will not take the risk that someone mentioned in the file might still be alive and could be harmed by the information.
That's why it is so expensive, and why it takes as long as it does.

Someone mentioned that it seemed expensive for a charity to charge that much. Their charity is for the children and families they continue to help. They do not over charge - at least I don't think so - and I am just grateful that they have kept the records and are prepared to let descendants see them.

Mutley
30-04-2008, 10:18 AM
As you already have all his other information that you can get, then this will be a wonderful piece of family history to add. As you say, hopefully, a photograph, certainly a description.

Ladkyis now explains why the cost is so high and your money is going to a worthwhile charity so if you can afford it you have to go for it.

Good Luck and let us know the outcome.

maufleury
30-04-2008, 11:12 PM
I, too am very grateful to Barnardos for the work they have done in the past and now in the future! I do not feel hesitant about ordering the records at all and am just so thankful that these records do exist! I will share when I receive them. Thanks to all!

maufleury
01-08-2008, 4:20 PM
Hi I just wanted all of you who were interested to know that I received my grandfather's records from Barnardos just yesterday! It didn't take as long as they had originally told me. Anyway, it was more than worth the money!!!! I have learned so much about my grandfather's situation and was absolutely THRILLED to have received a photo of him!!! Even though he was only 11 years old at the time, I am so pleased to at least have an idea of what he looked like! It was sad, yet fascinating to read of his history, first in the UK and then in Canada. Thanks to the Barnardos organization for keeping these records! It is wonderful!

Mary Anne
01-08-2008, 5:35 PM
Great to hear maufleury!! How wodnerful to ahve a photo as well, lucky you :D

Ladkyis
01-08-2008, 11:05 PM
Oh that's wonderful! I did wonder if there would be a photograph. Barnardo's did use photographs a lot but I was afraid to say anything just in case the photograph had been lost or something.

When I was doing my Social work course I did a huge project on Barnardo's and another on 'home' children that were sent to Canada and Australia. I must have known even then that I would need those research skills for my family history research. LOL

Calder
04-08-2008, 12:55 AM
Hi,
Glad to hear you obtained some worthwhile results. The link below to Marjorie Kohli's web site contains a lot of information on Canadian Home Children.

www.
ist.uwaterloo.ca/~marj/genealogy/homeadd.html

Regards,

Calder

Valerie Compton
24-08-2008, 10:31 PM
Hello Everyone,
I do not know if this is the correct forum to ask, but here goes...and sorry if it is not.
I live in New Zealand and in February of this year I filled in the appropriate papers sent to me from Barnardos to enable me to gain records of my deceased grandfather who came out to N.Z. in 1924.
My Grandfather always told us he thought he came from monied people but was brought up by a maiden aunt who was a teacher and moved around quite a lot and he also told us that he was in Barnardos. I found him on the 1901 census visiting a girl's school in Bristol, stating "visitor / living Barnardos London."
In February 2008 I paid the initial fee of 35 pound to Barnardos to research the initial stage, and when the answer came back that they could find no records of John Shaw they gave me a receipt for the fee of 35 pounds...but this was not taken out of our credit account. Originally this process was to take up to 6 months because of the back-log of inquiries, so I was very suprised when the answer came back...no records found only after 2 months.
I wrote back to them and said how dissapointed I was as I had found him on the 1901 census and what explaination could they give me for not being able to find him in their records. I also stated that the fee had not been taken out of our account. A few weeks went by and then we noticed that the initial fee had been taken out of our credit account, so we assumed that they were looking into it further....months went by and still nothing. I have written again by snail mail as my emails go unanswered. Still after another month I have heard nothing even though I have always supplied them with my email, phone number etc. So from February to nearly September, nearly 7 months, nothing. I do not find this satisfactory and being so far away I am at an end as what to do next.
Has anyone had similar experiences with Barnardos and can anyone offer any advice or suggestions as I would dearly love to find out his records as it has a great bearing on the rest of my research.
Looking forward any reply no matter what info. you can supply.
Many thanks and best wishes.
Valerie Compton.

v.wells
25-08-2008, 12:21 AM
|wave|Valerie,

Perhaps his aunt was a teacher at Barnardos and therefore he lived there with her and was not actually an inmate?

The money was given to a charity so I don't think they will return it as they may deem it to be a search fee.

It is poor etiquette to not return letters, emails or phone calls unless it is a telemarketer. Someone on here may have other thoughts as to what you could do.

I'm not much help but someone will help:)

Valerie Compton
25-08-2008, 2:39 AM
Thankyou Sapphire Star,
I had not thought that his aunt could have been a teacher at Barnardos...another avenue to explore.
Best wishes Valerie

v.wells
25-08-2008, 4:22 PM
Thanks for calling me Sapphire Star - that's a first:D

I don't know if any one else has had difficulties with Barnardos. I am thinking of sending for inquiry forms, so will wait and see what the response is here. Thank you for bringing that difficulty up.:)

Valerie Compton
25-08-2008, 7:38 PM
Sorry Vanessa....Sapphires are beautiful though.
You say you are thinking of sending for the inquiry forms...I think that if you are seeking records for someone that was sent to Canada you may have more success as from what I have read they seemed to keep very good records in that department. Go for it and the very best of luck...I hope you are successful.
I am also hoping to get a few more replies offering suggestions.
Kind regards Valerie

susan-y
25-08-2008, 8:51 PM
Could he have been called Jack or by a middle name, instead? Or perhaps his given name was something other than John and John was a middle name?

I hope you hear something... I also would be very disappointed..charity or not, you don't keep money for nothing........

Sue

Valerie Compton
26-08-2008, 1:40 AM
Thanks Sue,
He was also known as Jack but on the 1901 census he was called John so I supposed that he was known in Barnardos as John. He was John on all official documents.
Worth looking at though.
Cheers Valerie.

Stacyleigh
15-11-2008, 6:31 PM
My GreatGrandfather, Albert Dawdry, arrived in Canada in 1905 as a Home Child on SS Tunisian. I also started pulling threads after I found his name on the ship passenger list.

I contacted Barnardo's, paid 20 pound for the information I received, which may not have seemed like much to go on as far as they were concerned, but made my Grandfather and Father very happy. I received a copy of the record kept on him after he came to Canada until 1922. The entries were sporadic, but well worth it $$ to have.

I think they look at what information they have, then quote you the costs of digging and copying from there.

Best of Luck,
Stacy

v.wells
15-11-2008, 7:03 PM
Stacy, that is good news to hear that you got fairly favourable results. And £20 is not a lot of money. I bet it was an intereting read and certainly a keepsake for sure.|woohoo|

amore
27-04-2009, 8:49 PM
Stacey
It will be worth every penny. My grandfather was a Barnardo's boy and when I received letters written by him and information on his homestay I cried. You could always e-m Barnardo's to make sure you get all the information. Personally I had excellent service from them and I tresure all the information I received.
Regards
eileen

edwardtjones
09-02-2010, 8:24 PM
I was a barnardo boy, i was with them from the age of three months until i was 18. I got my records about 4 years ago, i had to e mail them. Its all to do with the data protection act. some of my records are a bit moving, when you read about yourself being very ill and losing weight. i was quite lucky as i was fostered out to a family who looked after me very well. My foster mother had a stroke and her husband was away in the war, i was sent this other family for about 10 months, they treated me and the other boys very badly. There was no mention of my time spent there in my records.

kamsackkat
05-01-2011, 6:07 AM
I sent for the records of my family member 2 years ago. I received copies of all documentation Barnardo's had for my Gran, her siblings and flaky parents (to be sure I am glad Barnardos was an available rescue for those kids). Included also were photos of the kids at time of intake, on later placement to foster homes, and in their teens when they were shipped to Canada or Australia for their domestic services. Also were monthly reports of Gran's first year in a Canadian ladies school (where the girls were required to remain until job placement was located) and then further reports from various employers and inspectors. Copies of correspondence between Gran and various role models at Barnardoes were also provided and show she continued look to Barnardoes staff as parent figures for many years, even long after she'd married and had a family ... and it pleased me to see that the staff of Barnardoes continued in care and concern of former charges decades after they had moved on to new lives.
Too was some minor information regarding the siblings, as Barnardoes still maintains confidentiality and I only had Mom's permission about her mother, not my cousins of their parents, so I never did find out much about those people. I did find out what prizes the great grandparents were though, as police records also showed up as well as the tales of demise. The bundle was very heavy and I feel well worth every cent they charged me. It would have been impossible to obtain this information otherwise, but I would say be prepared for what your about to read, because my Gran sure wasn't exactly "honest" to her kids and they all figured she had had a real gravy life. Quite the shock to find out she nearly didn't have a good life at all before Barnardoes gave her and her siblings a chance and a new beginning. I am so proud of my Gran and her courage now.

edwardtjones
06-01-2011, 7:40 PM
My name is edward jones. i entered barnardos at hawkhurst castle in kent at the age of 3 months, my mother and uncle had died on the same day in the same house in clapham in 1934, both died ofTB. I had some good times in the early years, but bad times as i got older. When i was ten i went to watts naval training school in norfolk for five years. barnardos kept secret from all of us about any family we had, We all assumed we were orphans. I was just about to go to canada in 1947 when my oldest sister contacted me. I found i had a father and another sister living in the same street what i had left 13 years before. When i went on the internet in 2003 the first thing i keyed in was Watts naval training school, there was to be a school reunion in only 2 months time to celebrate its centenery. About 300 of us turned up, it was a very moving day, We had a dance on the saturday and on the sunday we had a service in the graveyard where there were quite a few graves of boys who had died at the school. Mostley of scarlet fever.. If anyone is really interested i did a piece to someone who was collecting our memories before we all passed away, not all my words, i dictated them to him and then he sent them to me when he had finished, i would have left bits out and added other stories if i had done. It runs to five pages. my e mail address is. - Edwardtjones(at)sky dot com - I met one chap at the reunion who had been sent to canada, he only found out he had five sisters when they were all dead.

v.wells
06-01-2011, 9:36 PM
What a moving and tragic story Edward. I hope that you were able to re-connect with your father and sister and heal the wounds. What a sad time - I don't know what possess these instititutions to withhold the truth. The same was done to the aboriginal people in Canada when children were yanked from their parents/families and forced into residential schools - many were brainwashed and now they can't cope with the world as it is today. Very tragic events.

edwardtjones
07-01-2011, 2:03 PM
I am in contact with two of my sisters, both in their 80s, one still living in Battersea. Anyone who has been in the home system you always feel a bit of an outsider. i cured all my demons when my wife and myself moved into our home 46 years ago. She died last year, we had a good life and 15 years of retirement, lots of holidays so no regrets.

jkelly
18-06-2011, 2:59 AM
Thank you, everyone, for your responses. Yes, the records are coming straight from Barnardos. I do know lots about my grandfather, birth certificate, death certificate, parents and siblings names, ship list, border crossing record, marriage certificate but I was always confused as to why I couldn't find him after the 1891 UK census. Recently I discovered that he had emigrated to Canada in the year 1900 and ended up as a 12 year old domestic on a farm here in Canada. Then, I found him on the ship list, as one of 109 boys destined for Toronto. The name Barnardo's party was written on one page of the original ship's manifest. From there I wrote to Barnardos and apparently they do have records on him. I really want them because I'm hoping they will have a photo of him as well as other information as to what his circumstances were prior to emigrating to Canada. However 100 pounds stirling is around two hundred Canadian dollars. I likely will order the records and once I've paid for them, it could take 9 to 12 months before I receive them. I guess a lot of people have requested records. So, as I mentioned, I hope it's worth the money!!!
My grandfather Harold Heath also came across to Canada from the Stepney home in 1900. I wonder if he was on the same ship. He was twelve though the ship record mistakenly records him as six.

jkelly
18-06-2011, 3:23 AM
When I researched my grandfather's family I learned they were hardworking and church-going and his widowed mother remarried and had another child after sending my grandfather and his brother, ages twelve and eight to Canada as Barnardo boys.Does anyone know of any additional reason besides poverty, why a typical family in Kent would do so? According to notes written by my grandfather he had enjoyed life with his family in Kent. The Barnardo's record indicate his mother was of good character, and she agreed to send them. Although poor there is evidence they all came from a healthy background. I would like to hear if anyone has found anything in their research to suggest if institutions might have gone round to small villages to entice people to send their children (he was from Swanscombe, Kent) ? They had many living relatives in England including three siblings.Thanks for any insights offered. It is so difficult to understand, as all the material out there tends to say the boys were criminals, orphans, on the streets etc. and I know this was not the case. Also, if anyone has ventured into trying to find living family in England, after such a history, their experience. Best done in person? or not at all....