PDA

View Full Version : Which software is most like Ancestry family trees?

dawn.read
28-04-2008, 9:34 PM
Good Evening,

Can anyone tell me which software out there is most like the layout of the Ancestry family trees?

I am at present using Reunion on my Mac which is great (it should be it cost me £85 three years ago!)

On my laptop I am using the WDYTYA (FTM 2005) software, which is ok but not the most exciting.

I would really like a programme where when I look at the person view there is a photo looking back at me, unlike FTM where you have to go into the scrapbook. I love the layout on Ancestry with the timeline and being able to attach census reports etc, but I am very wary about putting too much info on there with it being online.

What are everyones thoughts??

Thanks Dawn :)

Mutley
28-04-2008, 9:49 PM
Have you looked at Tribal Pages, you can change it around to suit, download a gedcom, make it private or available to just family or the whole web. Upload pictures, census or other documents and add all sorts of text for about £10.00 per year. If your PC goes down they still have the information on their server.

You can attach a picture to the person view and link to other pictures.

I think there have been a few threads on here about it, if you try in the search box.

dawn.read
28-04-2008, 10:04 PM
Thanks for that Mutley but it is the security of the data that concerns me on internet based programmes. That is why I am looking for something I can put on my lappie. What are your views on security?

Thanks

Dawn

Jan1954
28-04-2008, 10:09 PM
With Tribal Pages, you have the option to have it password protected or completely open.

You can then give the password to whomever you want and change it from time to time, should you wish.

dawn.read
28-04-2008, 10:21 PM
Hi Jan,

Thanks for your reply.

I understand that you can add a password, that is the same as with the Ancestry one I am using. But even so I would be very wary about putting my personal details on there. You never know what might happen and if I have given out my full name, date of birth, mothers maiden name etc then aren't I leaving myself open to identity fraud??

I haven't put any info on there for living relatives, except for names. But I would like to have a programme that is clear and easy to use that I am able to put all the info I want for.

Regards

Dawn

Mutley
28-04-2008, 11:21 PM
I use Tribal Pages and password protect it.
It is not available to anyone else, cannot be looked at by anyone else other than us. The grand children love it, their link with the past.

I only give the password to my family because we/they are all there, living and dead. I think it is as safe as possible but not worth the hassle to a hacker to try to break my password.

Some people only use it for past relatives and they do not password protect it, so that they may be contacted by others researching the same name.

Jan's is not protected, you can click on the link beneath her name to give you an idea of what the program looks like.

I know of some people that have the free program for long gone names open to the web and then pay the subscription for another site that they password protect and allows them to download a gedcom.

Whatever you fancy.....

v.wells
29-04-2008, 1:48 AM
I agree with Mutley and Jan. It is fully secure on tribalpages. I have never had a problem and I am password protected. You do what ever you are comfortable with.

dawn.read
30-04-2008, 7:32 AM
Thank you all for your help and advice - as usual :)

All the best

Dawn