PDA

View Full Version : Eastwood

billysax
27-04-2008, 11:44 AM
My Dad's family came from and around Eastwood (until his grandparents emigrated to Manchester). My youngest son is taking me on a two day visit to Eastwood shortly to look at where we came from.
Can anyone suggest the best places to look for information etc.? I've been on the net ,not found much.
I have some addresses to look up, Market Place, Nottingham Rd. Eastwood Common and a few more. Not sure when we're going but any help would be much appreciated.|help|

Jack Richards
27-04-2008, 4:18 PM
Hi

Sorry I do not know your name.

It would be nice to know the name you are researching and tell us the years.

Perhaps, you could ask specific questions.

Kindest regards

Jack

Jack Richards
27-04-2008, 4:21 PM
Hi Billy

Now, I recall, you are the chap from Gorton in Manchester.

Wow, have you seen the changes there!

Regards

Jack

Peter Goodey
27-04-2008, 4:23 PM
While in Eastwood, I hope you'll find time to visit the DH Lawrence Heritage Birthplace Museum.

Quite apart from the Lawrence connection, the museum is a recreation of a working class Victorian home and of interest to anyone with ancestors from the region.

Neil Wilson
27-04-2008, 5:45 PM
I must say that the only place I've been to near there is Ikea!!

If you google 'Eastwood Nottingham' you will find loads of information, you can tailor your search with more words, ie genealogy.

billysax
27-04-2008, 6:56 PM
My name is John William Saxton, Billy Saxton to all who know me. I have researched the Saxtons of Eastwood, and there were many Saxtons in that part of Nottingham. One who interests me greatly is Henry Saxton b 1842. He was a grocer and a successful one at that apparently.
William Saxton b 1812 Selston was my GG Grandfather. John James b 1845 Eastwood was my G Grandfather and John William b 1869 Eastwood my Grandfather.
Point is I don't want to go there and wander about aimlessly. Is there a heritage centre or similar I can visit. Anything of that nature.

billysax
27-04-2008, 7:00 PM
Hi Billy

Now, I recall, you are the chap from Gorton in Manchester.

Wow, have you seen the changes there!

Regards

Jack

Changes in Gorton ? None for the better I fear. The area is rapidly becoming a slum, at least where I live, Abbey Hey !

Neil Wilson
27-04-2008, 7:51 PM
Might be worth while visiting the county records office in Nottingham (Near the train station/courts) http://www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/libraries/Archives/

Peter Goodey
27-04-2008, 8:48 PM
Is there a heritage centre or similar I can visit.

1. I've already pointed out one place, the D.H. Lawrence Birthplace Museum. There's also the Durban House Heritage Centre on Mansfield Road.

2. How much information have you got on the SAXTON family of Selston? Your tree and mine may interlink through one of the Selston SAXTONs.

Jack Richards
27-04-2008, 10:23 PM
Hi Billy

I too have both a Selston connection and a Saxton connection, albeit the latter Saxton connection is circa 1850 from North Wingfield - not too far away - a Sarah Ann Saxton, father William Saxton married a John Richards in 1850.

Will have to email my web site address to you via private email - Bo-Peep will shout at me if I post it here.

As for Abbey Hey, well as recent as at least the 1970s - maybe much later - it was very quiet, mainly elderly with a mixture of mid thirties decent folk. Now, well I wonder if the City Council is proud of what has happened to Gorton, especially the area around Hyde Road - the A57 out of the City to Sheffield. Still there is to be a new shopping precinct!

Regards

Jack

billysax
28-04-2008, 10:42 AM
1. I've already pointed out one place, the D.H. Lawrence Birthplace Museum. There's also the Durban House Heritage Centre on Mansfield Road.

2. How much information have you got on the SAXTON family of Selston? Your tree and mine may interlink through one of the Selston SAXTONs.
Thanks for your help.
William Saxton b 1812 Selston was my GG grandfather. He married Elizabeth Orme in 1842. One of their sons, John James Saxton b 1846 Eastwood was my G grandfather. He married Lydia Poxon and it was they who "emigrated" to Manchester.
I have William's father as William Saxton b 1786 Selston who married Elizabeth Flint b 1785 Selston. This research was done in the early years of my interest in genealogy, and looking back at it now, I realise I don't have them in the census of 1841, nor can I yet find them !
1851 HO 107/2125 Folio 340 Page 30 will find william.

billysax
28-04-2008, 10:46 AM
Hi Billy

I too have both a Selston connection and a Saxton connection, albeit the latter Saxton connection is circa 1850 from North Wingfield - not too far away - a Sarah Ann Saxton, father William Saxton married a John Richards in 1850.

Will have to email my web site address to you via private email - Bo-Peep will shout at me if I post it here.

As for Abbey Hey, well as recent as at least the 1970s - maybe much later - it was very quiet, mainly elderly with a mixture of mid thirties decent folk. Now, well I wonder if the City Council is proud of what has happened to Gorton, especially the area around Hyde Road - the A57 out of the City to Sheffield. Still there is to be a new shopping precinct!

Regards

JackWe've lived in Abbey Hey since 1961, then it was really nice, now I'm ashamed to live here ! Who needs another supermarket ?

billysax
28-04-2008, 10:48 AM
Might be worth while visiting the county records office in Nottingham (Near the train station/courts) http://www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/libraries/Archives/
Thanks for that, duly noted.

Peter Goodey
28-04-2008, 4:49 PM
A direct ancestor of mine (Sarah GILL formerly DODD) was the second wife of George SAXTON of Selston (bap 1772 at St Helen, Selston).

I haven't investigated any further because he's only of peripheral interest.

Any relation?

billysax
28-04-2008, 7:38 PM
A direct ancestor of mine (Sarah GILL formerly DODD) was the second wife of George SAXTON of Selston (bap 1772 at St Helen, Selston).

I haven't investigated any further because he's only of peripheral interest.

Any relation?Not that I am aware Peter.

billysax
02-05-2008, 7:33 PM
Discovered yesterday that my gg uncle Henry Saxton's grocery shop in Eastwood was three doors away from the home of D.H.Lawrence in Victoria St.
D.H. did not have a very high opinion of gg uncle Henry. He called him a burly, bullying man who never pronounced an "H" in the right place but had a high regard for himself.
The D.H. Lawrence museum is now a must when I visit Eastwood.

billysax
06-05-2008, 7:47 PM
While in Eastwood, I hope you'll find time to visit the DH Lawrence Heritage Birthplace Museum.

Quite apart from the Lawrence connection, the museum is a recreation of a working class Victorian home and of interest to anyone with ancestors from the region.
Peter, found out the other day that the DH Lawrence museum entrance is actually my GG Uncle Henry's grocer's shop on the corner of Victoria St and Scargill St. Top of my list for a visit !!

Peter Goodey
06-05-2008, 9:42 PM
Have fun. I hope we'll get a full photographic report of your visit!:D :D :D

billysax
08-05-2008, 3:37 PM

2." How much information have you got on the SAXTON family of Selston? Your tree and mine may interlink through one of the Selston SAXTONs.2"

My GG Grandfather William Saxton b 1812 was from Selston. He married Elizabeth Orme who was from Ripley, Derbyshire. They married in 1842 at Eastwood.

billysax
02-08-2008, 9:02 AM
Paid our visit to Eastwood, Thursday last. Had the distinct advantage of our own personal tour guide, name of Bill Saxton (same as mine) who is of a similar age to me and lives close to Eastwood. He contacted me fairly recently via Genes R. and it turns out we are third cousins.
We had a fascinating and rewarding day with Bill and his wife, Joan. The D.H. Lawrence museum premises were once the grocer's shop of my g.g. uncle Henry Saxton b 1842 who was a leading light in the Eastwood area , so most of what we saw had connections to him. To actually stand in the shop and imagine Uncle Henry serving behind the counter.
Eastwood parish church, only the tower remains of the original building, where many of my family were baptised and married. The area where once stood the house where my grandad and his siblings were born, the house where Henry died. We would not have seen most of these places left to our own devices. I feel so lucky to have had the benefit of the company of Bill and Joan, what a day, so many memories to cherish. :D:D