PDA

View Full Version : Charles Gutteridge 1801 and Rebecca Brooks 1802 both Hathern

revdfg
27-04-2008, 7:08 AM
Charles Gutteridge was my GG Grandfather
baptised 5 Nov 1801 Hathern
died 29 Sep 1881 Hathern

Rebecca Brookes was my GG Grandmother
baptised 8 Feb 1802 Hathern
died HELP PLEASE

They married on 2 May 1830 in Loughborough and I can find four births
1. Sarah Gutteridge
IGI Sarah Gutteridge
Birth: 24 OCT 1830
Bapt: 14 NOV 1830 Dead Lane Primitive Methodist, Loughborough, Leicestershire
Father: Charles Guttridge
Mother: Rebecca
2. Henry Gutteridge
IGI HENRY GUTTRIDGE Male
Birth: 24 DEC 1831
Christening: 22 JUL 1832 High Street Leicester Road Wesleyan, Loughborough, Leicester
Father: CHARLES GUTTRIDGE Mother: REBECCA BROOKS
3. John Gutteridge (My G Grandfather)
IGI JOHN GUTTERIDGE Male
Birth: 29 MAR 1835
Christening: 21 JUN 1835 High Street Leicester Road Wesleyan, Loughborough, Leicester, England
Father: CHARLES GUTTERIDGE
Mother: REBECCA BROOKS
4. Rowland Gutteridge
IGI ROWLAND GUTTERIDGE Male
Birth: 01 APR 1837
Christening: 13 APR 1837 High Street Leicester Road Wesleyan, Loughborough, Leicester
Parents:
Father: CHARLES GUTTERIDGE
Mother: REBE BROOKS
and Free BMD records a death of Rowland Gutteridge Sep quarter 1837

Now from that last fact it seems reasonable to argue that Rebecca was alive at least at the beginning of that quarter, say July 1837.

But the 1841 census tells a different story:
1841: Spring Gardens, Loughborough, Leicestershire
Charles Guthridge, 35, abt 1806 Leicestershire, Lace Maker
Henry Guthridge, 9, abt 1832 Leicestershire
John Guthridge, 6, abt 1835 Leicestershire

So it looks as though both Sarah and Rowland have died - and that Rebecca has too. It is a pity that 1841 census does not record "widowers" - Charles is certainly recorded as widower by the 1851 census:
1851: North Yard, High Street, Loughborough, Leicestershire
Charles Gutteridge, 48, abt 1803 Hathern, Leicestershire, Head, Widower, FWK Merino Hose
Henry Gutteridge, 19, abt 1832 Loughborough, Leicestershire, Son, Framework? Lace Maker(Cotton)
John Gutteridge, 16, abt 1835 Loughborough, Leicestershire, England Son, Framework? Lace Maker (Thread)

Henry and John then move to Nottingham as lacemakers and the Gutteridge Nottinghamshire clan begins!!

But can anyone help find the death details for Rebecca Gutteridge (note that spelling varies widely)? It looks as though she has died before 1841 possibly as early as 1837 if she died in or after childbirth. FreeBMD starts with 3rd quarter of 1837 so she may have died just before 1837 records began.

It seems they were methodists by the baptisms. I just wonder if there was a methodist funeral?

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Mutley
27-04-2008, 4:29 PM
I'm not sure about there being just a funeral, I would have thought that the death after 1837 still had to be registered, though seemingly many were not at that time, registration being very new.

Yours does not seem to be the only Leicester Rebecca Gutteridge either, which complicates the issue. There are also many more older families in Loughborough that could be siblings of Charles with further children.

The only entries I can see for a Rebecca death are

Rebecca Gutteridge born abt 1800 but was in West Bromwich, Staffs in Dec 1876. 6b/436 (for too late)
Rebecca Gutteridge, birth not given, Death: Sep 1842 - Coventry, Warwickshire, West Midlands 16/267 (wrong place)

There is a marriage of Rebecca Gutteridge in Dec 1854 in Loughborough to either William Hyman or William Tyers 7a/315
Too late for yours to have divorced but I would think she fits into the family somewhere.

I would think your Rebecca must have died as Charles seems to go on to a ripe old age lodging with others.

I don't know if you can buy the parish registers I think they would be most useful to you.

revdfg
28-04-2008, 7:26 AM
Thanks, Mutley
You seem to have made similar conclusions to myself. Rebecca Gutteridge (nee Brooks) appears to have died before 1841 census, but is named as mother on the baptism record for Rowland - 13 April 1837. So it is just possible that she died shortly after that baptism in the second quarter of 1837 - too early to be included in registered death records which flow from third quarter of 1837. So she may have just missed inclusion and may therefore be a difficult one to trace.

The other Rebecca Gutteridge you found (maiden name Gutteridge) did indeed marry William Himan as this entry from 1861 shows:
1861: Church Lane, Sutton Bonnington, Nottinghamshire
John Gutteridge, 46, 1815 Sutton Bonington, Nottinghamshire, Head, Agric. Labourer
Elizabeth Gutteridge, 45, 1816 Sutton Bonington, Nottinghamshire, Wife, Seamer of Hosiery
Ann Gutteridge, 16, 1845 Sutton Bonington, Nottinghamshire, Daughter, Seamer of Hosiery
Elizabeth Gutteridge, 14, 1847 Sutton Bonington, Nottinghamshire, Daughter, Seamer of Hosiery
Mary Gutteridge, 12, 1849 Sutton Bonington, Nottinghamshire, Daughter, Scholar
Robert Gutteridge, 10, 1851 Sutton Bonington, Nottinghamshire, Son, Scholar
Samuel Gutteridge, 8, 1853 Sutton Bonington, Nottinghamshire, Son, Scholar
Lavina Gutteridge, 6, 1855 Sutton Bonington, Nottinghamshire, Daughter, Scholar
Sarah Gutteridge, 3, 1858 Sutton Bonington, Nottinghamshire, Daughter, Scholar
William Himan, 28, Loughborough, Leicestershire, Son in Law, Agricultural Labourer
Rebecca Himan, 22, 1839 Sutton Bonington, Nottinghamshire, England Daughter, Seamer of Hosiery
Thomas Himan, 4, Sutton Bonnington, Grandson, Scholar
So William Himan and Rebecca along with young son Thomas are living with Rebeccas parents in the family home in Sutton Bonnington.

I have not yet been able to link that Sutton Bonnington line with my own line which traces back through Hathern to Walton on the Wolds.

Thanks for working at this. You are dead right - I need access to some of the parish records.

Prof
22-05-2008, 1:16 PM
Hi...

There's a lot of information there.. what exactly are you looking for. I live just up the road from Hathern and need to go to the churchyard for my own research, plus I am always dropping into the local history section at Loughborough library which should have all the parish records you are looking for...

Just let me know what it is you need.

regards

Prof

revdfg
23-05-2008, 7:10 AM
Thank you, Prof.
I have sent you a direct email so that we can pursue this outside the main Leics forum. We can post any startling discoveries!
Many thanks
David

David R Cross
13-03-2011, 4:48 PM
William Himan and his wife Rebecca (nee Gutteridge) were married 15th November 1854 at St. Michael's in Sutton Bonington. They were my Great Great Grandparents. Their son, Thomas had a sister, Mary Ann, who was born at Clay Cross - she was my great grandmother. There was also a sister, Ruth, born in 1864, who died, I think in 1867. There was another daughter, also Rebecca, born 28th November 1866, and a further daughter, also named Ruth, born 11th March 1877. I would be interested to know if there were any other children. I am descended from Mary Ann who married a Herbert Cross of Shardlow.

revdfg
14-03-2011, 4:40 PM
Thanks, David. That adds a bit more to my tree.