PDA

View Full Version : I don't understand...

zippy1
26-04-2008, 1:25 PM
Hello
I'm not sure if this is in the right place but as there's a water connection to my query, I thought I'd give it a go!
James Leek (+ spelling variations) b.1833 Stoke Prior, Herefordshire (Stoke Groy/Grey/Breyer in the transcriptions) married Emma Ralphs. On the 1861 census he is on the 'ship or vessel' Caroline in Gloucester. The 'port/place it belongs to' is Droitwich, Worc. It is 28 tons. I think the 'description and trade to which it belongs' is (possibly) Barge Inland :confused:
My question is: Is there anywhere I can go to find out some information on what was onboard this ship or vessel?
Thanks in advance of any help...
Rachel:)

Peter_uk_can
26-04-2008, 1:40 PM
Hi. At 28 tons and with an address of Droitwich, it is very likely a canal barge. I haven't done much with searching canal people but have spent quite abit of time cruising the waterways.

Droitwich is close to a major hub of canals and river highways of the period you mention.

zippy1
26-04-2008, 2:45 PM
thanks for the reply Peter_uk_can, much appreciated. I have 'Googled' the 'Caroline' but with no success! I'll keep searching I guess...
Thanks again
Rachel :)

Andrewb
04-05-2008, 10:36 PM
Rachel

The 'Wych' barges to give them their correct title were used to transport salt from the salt works in Droitwich, down the local canal to the River Severn at Hawford and on down the Severn to Gloucester and Bristol.

There is a very informative book that was produced by the Droitwich Canals Trust in 2000 called 'The Illustrated Droitwich Canals Guide'. The book contains a list of known Wych barges, of which the Caroline is one. The Caroline was built in 1841 and was owned by George Everton. The Everton family were part of the then burgeoning salt making industry that Droitwich was famous for.

The book also contains some pictures of other barges, but not the Caroline. A replica barge was recently constructed in Vines Park, on land where many of the salt workers used to live in cottages and was promptly vandalised.

If you can't get hold of a copy of the book, then Google 'Wych Barge' and that will give you some of the background.

I did some research on the salt barges as my 3xgreat grandfather also was on board one at the time of the 1881 census.

Hope this helps

Andrew

zippy1
05-05-2008, 8:23 AM
Thanks Andrew, that's amazing! I really appreciate you sharing your information with me. |hug|
I'll check out getting a copy of the book you mentioned or Google 'Wych Barge' like you suggest.
Thanks again
Rachel :)