PDA

View Full Version : Martha Curson (s) 5 Spurious Children

Debbie Bozkurt
26-04-2008, 7:45 AM
Hi There

I have posted before about my family of Cursons that appear to have numerous children born out of wedlock. I had great success in teaming up one of my 3x Great Aunt's children with their real father as the mother named the oldest child after him and then married the father after his wife had died and after she had bored him 5 Children.

Her sister Martha Curson written as Martha Cursons on Christening of children born in 1785 Shipdham and Lived in Weston Longville, Norfolk had 5 children born out of wedlock in Weston Longville. William born 1811, Robert born 1814 (died 1826), Elizabeth born 1817, Hannah born 1821 and Sarah born 1826 (died 1826).

I can find good christening and burial records on line for Weston Longville but very little on Marriages. I have traced William Curson and offspring but no clues in their names. I can not at present find Elizabeth or Hannah but what I really really want to know is who their father was and what happened to Martha their mother. |banghead|
Does anyone have this family in their tree, can advice me where I can look for clues, I have tried many of the obvious sites on-line. I live on the Isle of Lewis and therefore do not have access to a large English Library.

Would be very grateful for any advice or a break-through

Thanks Debs

robbieuk
22-01-2009, 1:07 AM
Hello,

My ancestors (Bates, Dunnell, Gray) lived and worked in Weston Longville for centuries, hence my interest in your Martha. I daresay she knew some of my lot.

Perhaps she is on the 1851 census in Hainford, Norfolk? A Martha Snelling is listed as head, widow aged 68, char woman, born Shipdham; living with her are: daughter Elizabeth Curson, unmarried, aged 32, a cotton weaver, born Weston; son William Snelling, single, 22, ag labourer, born Witchingham; and grandson Robert Curson, aged 14, ag labourer, born Hainford.

Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 1811; Folio: 221; Page: 35;
If this is her, then in 1861 she is at Carr, Hainford aged 80, charwoman, born Shipdham; living with her are: grandson Robert Kerson, aged 20, bricklayer, born Hainford; and grandaughter Hannah Crome, aged 10, born Hainford.

Source Citation: Class: RG9; Piece: 1209; Folio: 67; Page: 12;

This Martha Snelling could have died in 1868. BMD reveals a woman of that name, aged 90 years, died in the St Faith's district of Norfolk in the September quarter: 4b 77.

Back in 1841, a Snelling family appear in Newton Sf Faith (neighbouring pasish to hainford): William Snelling, 35, ag lab; Martha, 50; Elizabeth 20; William 13; Robert 4. All born Norfolk.

Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece 783; Book: 13; Civil Parish: St Faith Newton; County: Norfolk; Enumeration District: 2; Folio: 4; Page: 3; Line: 4;

According to deaths at Free BMD a William Snelling was registered March quarter 1846 in St Faiths (13 68) and according to births, a Hannah Mary Ann Crome was registered in St Faith's in March quarter 1852 (4b 102).

Maybe worth investigating?
Rob

Geoffers
22-01-2009, 12:23 PM
Perhaps she is on the 1851 census in Hainford, Norfolk? A Martha Snelling is listed as head, widow aged 68, char woman, born Shipdham; HO107/1811 Folio: 221; Page: 35..........This Martha Snelling could have died in 1868. BMD reveals a woman of that name, aged 90 years, died in the St Faith's district of Norfolk in the September quarter: 4b 77.

Hainford Parish Register
Burials - entry no. 488
Martha SNELLING, of Haynford, buried 1868 Sept 20, aged 90 years.

There is no trace of a marriage or banns for Martha CURSON(S), CUSSON(S), CURZON(S), COUSIN(S), etc in Hainford.

An index to Hainford registers is available on the Norfolk Transcription Archive - I have a vague recollection of sending the index over to freereg as well.

Debbie Bozkurt
23-01-2009, 7:44 PM
Thanks this is very interesting!

I found the baptism of William Snelling in 25th May1828 in Great Witchingham, parents William and Martha Snelling which ties up to the census place of birth. I found the marriage of Elizabeth Curson in 1851 to Stephen Crome on the FreeReg site it states James Crane? as father. Would be interesting to see marriage certificate to see what that says. Certainly Elizabeth age is about right, Martha's is a bit out but often they are. The only thing is that Martha had a living spurious son William born 1811 but I guess that doesn't stop her from naming her leg. son William after his father.

Robert Curson is prob. the son of Elizabeth Curson and on his marriage there is no father down.

I can not see any marriage for Martha and William Snelling in Great Witchingham or anywhere else on-line. Martha was single in 1826 and married by 1828.

I will certainly look further into this as the coincidences are quite great, including Robert being one of the children of Martha that died.

Thanks for the tips any further thoughts greatly excepted

Debs