PDA

View Full Version : MARLBOROsubject=MARLBOROUGH street names

ruthrrr
24-12-2004, 1:01 PM
Hi

Can anyone suggest where I can look to find whether street names have changed in Marlborough. I have ancestors living at "Oxford Row" and "High Wall" and am unable to find them on any maps. I have a suspicion that High Wall may have been renamed "New Road" but am not sure for certain.

AnnB
24-12-2004, 2:40 PM
If you haven't already seen it, there's a web site at www.marlboroughwilts.co.uk which seems to have various contact suggestions (local history society, library, etc.) Might be worth a look :)

Best wishes and Happy Christmas
Ann

andy cowley
07-03-2010, 4:54 PM
I was in marlborough last year, looking for a particular row of cottages called "Prospect Place". I asked a few of the locals, and in local shops, but no one had heard of it. One person told me to look in the library, and this I did. On mooching around, a found a book called "Old Marlborough place names". I looked up prospect Place (My GG-Grandad lived there in 1851). and there it was, "prospect place, a row of three cottages on the southern aspect of blowhorn street, probably named for the fine views". I went to have a look where they used to be, and WOW! There they were!! 1-3 Prospect Place... STILL THERE!!...sorry I'm rambling...anyway there is a book that may help you called Old Marlborough place names. Hope this helps...