PDA

View Full Version : Freezing up

Barnzzz
24-04-2008, 8:58 PM
Hello, I've noticed today that when I go on A******y, I can look at a census image, but if I try and go on to the next page, my computer freezes, I have to escape by ending task with the task manager.

Is anyone else having this problem ? I'm trying to find out if its them or me !

Sue

Jan1954
24-04-2008, 9:04 PM
See posts 32-35 here: http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25127&page=4

There may be trouble at their end...

caliope
24-04-2008, 10:15 PM
Barnzzz,

I am having the exact same problem you are with A******y but it's been going on for almost a week now! Very annoying.

Waitabit
25-04-2008, 4:27 AM
So.o.oooooo, it's not a head cold my computer has.....
I had similar,(freezing up) with images on A******y, phoned them & they were very helpful, sent email instructions re-cookies..& having asked if I had "***" security, said that's what it was & gave instructions for dropping add-ons etc. but my head is not up to that yet..my son has just renewed & updated "security. Now, I've just had probs, trying to post info to someone today hereon.

:confused:

Wendy

Elley
25-04-2008, 6:44 AM
Yes, I have had this problem recently and it caused me much frustration! (to put it mildly)

In the end it was a Norton Internet Security problem it was cured by disabling the "Norton Confidential Help Object".

I found this difficult to find so in case anyone else has the same problem this may help.
Start/Control Panel/Internet Options/Programs/Manage Add Ons, then go and find the Norton Confidential Help Object and disable it. Then click on OK.

Elley

N Grove
25-04-2008, 7:00 AM
I also had this problem and tried various solutions. The following solution came from Symantec and appears to work.

This is a problem with Norton Internet Security 2008.

To over come the problem open Norton Protection Center click on the Norton Internet Security tab.
Go to settings.
Then select Transaction security then select security Safe and turn this feature off.

It may also be necessary to disable Symantec Intrusion Prevention in Internet Explorer

Norman

Elley
25-04-2008, 7:43 AM
Hi Norman,

Mine also came from Nortons it just took several attempts for the right person to read my request for help! Both Norton's and A*******y were blaming each other at that time, I felt like the piggy in the middle|biggrin|

This is the only thing that I altered to completely solve my problem.

Elley

Barnzzz
25-04-2008, 4:31 PM
Hello everyone, problem solved thanks to your help. We updated our Norton last week and its caused no end of problems !

Thanks again

Sue

v.wells
25-04-2008, 6:36 PM
Well I don't have Norton but Panda software installed instead and I still came up up blank pages on A** so it must be their fault!:D

Barnzzz
25-04-2008, 8:45 PM
Computers are so frustrating !:confused:

susan-y
26-04-2008, 1:24 AM
|hug|
Elley
Another helpful solution to a very frustrating problem |computer| ...hope it works on GR as well. I shall try this when my scan is complete tonight. Thankyou.
Sue

Waitabit
26-04-2008, 3:31 AM
I also had this problem and tried various solutions. The following solution came from Symantec and appears to work.

This is a problem with Norton Internet Security 2008.

To over come the problem open Norton Protection Center click on the Norton Internet Security tab.
Go to settings.
Then select Transaction security then select security Safe and turn this feature off.

It may also be necessary to disable Symantec Intrusion Prevention in Internet Explorer

Norman

Thank you Norman, but does this leave us open to any unwanted little bitties that we have security on to prevent?? Hubbys' computer so I must have a care..

Wendy

Barnzzz
26-04-2008, 7:53 PM
Hi Wendy, having looked at my Norton after making these changes, I can see that the only thing that appears to be disabled is the phishing protection. I guess it therefore depends what you do on your computer as to whether being unable to detect a phishing site will cause you a problem..

Sue

Elley
27-04-2008, 6:48 AM
I agree Sue, I did turn on the Windows phishing protection though and so far I have not had any problems:) A small box appears at the bottom of the screen while it is checking after accessing a site.

Elley

Waitabit
27-04-2008, 7:16 AM
Thanks Sue, did same & all seems ok apart from not being able to access A***y uk census without going in the long way.but today they are advertising a new system so maybe that's what's been confounding some probs. so far nor 'freezing tho', just had a message to "fix" 5 items from Norton.

cheers Wendy

N Grove
27-04-2008, 8:16 PM
Hi Wendy

All I have turned off is the Security Safe which should not affect any other security problems. I still have Norton Phishing protection on.

Regards

Norman

Waitabit
28-04-2008, 4:33 AM
Thanks Norman, I had my Son do the turning off as he was the onewho increased & updated on renewal. phishing is on now & all seems wellish, as in above post to Sue. I'm still new enough to computers for thereto be things I don't want to mess with on anothers machine.

cheers Wendy