PDA

View Full Version : 1851 Census Chelsea

busyglen
23-12-2004, 6:31 PM
Would anyone with access to the 1851 Census for Chelsea, be able to look at ED 12, Folio 492a, which should contain NAISH, and give me the details please? I am looking for Joseph NAISH and/or family.

I would be SO very grateful for help on this. :)

Merry Christmas to all.

Glenys

busyglen
24-12-2004, 12:57 PM
Humble apologies! I'm afraid it was I that made your job more difficult. :o

I was so excited by finding a NAISH in Chelsea on Frank W's site search on CENdexes (which is unchecked at the moment) that I forgot to put the HO/107/1474 in. The folio 492 is obviously a typo that will need to be amended. Again sorry for making your job more difficult! I should know better having done transcriptions myself.

However.....although you didn't find my Joseph, I think you may have hit on a link to the family. Joseph was born in Berkshire at Beech Hill around 1835-1837 and I am unable to trace his birth. He then appears in Chelsea with family in 1881. He married (assumption as no sign of a wedding as yet) Ann Vigor who was born in Sussex. So, I think there is a link to the Naishes there. I have also found his sister Jane on the 1871 Census visiting a family of Naish who gave their POB as Sussex. I will have to pursue this line and your findings have given me more hope of finding where he went after birth.

I would be grateful if you could fill in the details for me and thank you, thank you for responding.

Merry Christmas
Glenys

busyglen
26-12-2004, 6:59 PM
Thank you very much for your help Mythology, it is very much appreciated.
I feel sure that they are relatives of my Joseph.

Can you also help me with another query please? Does the 1851 Census for Westminster come under Middlesex, or London? I'm going to have to scour this for Alfred Strong JARVIS, who I believe moved from Buckinghamshire, to live with `possible' relatives there, when he was orphaned at about 5 years old in 1850. If you or someone else could advise where to look I should be most grateful.

Regards and Happy New Year to all.

Glenys

busyglen
27-12-2004, 4:51 PM
Yes Mythology, I did receive the file and sent you a `thank-you' direct as well as via the list. Perhaps your spam filter didn't like my address! :(

Thanks also for the Westminster info. I'm even more confused now, but hopefully will sort it all out in the end. On the 1871 Chelsea that I have, Alfred Strong Jarvis was shown as born in Westminster, Middlesex, but I knew that a lot of the districts varied in earlier times, but wasn't sure how. Seeing as he was born in Bucks. anyway, at least it gives me an area where he was probably looked after when his parents died. Obviously he would have thought that was where he was born if he lived there from an early age.

Thank you again for giving me so much information, it's really appreciated.

Glenys

Mythology
27-12-2004, 7:11 PM
Oh good - glad you got it. :)

I expect your reply will turn up in the morning - about ten minutes after I posted that last message I discovered that my usually reliable ISP, who I've been happily using for years, have a *major* problem with their e-mail server at the moment, which probably won't be fixed until late tonight or early tomorrow morning. Outgoing mail is fine, but incoming mail isn't getting through, and in some cases people are getting a bounce message telling them that the address doesn't exist. Oh well - these things happen.

Putting the first place they remember as a child for their birthplace is indeed very common. Two of mine, late 1790s, for whom I didn't have baptisms, both say Romford on the 1851, which is where I have their younger siblings, 1801 onwards, and as their uncle's house in Upminster was registered as an independent place of worship in 1797 I figured that maybe they'd been baptised there by some travelling minister. When I found the surviving one on the 1861, she says Horndon-on-the-Hill instead, and that's where they both turned up - widowed mother, 88 on the 1861, has moved back into the area and I guess she put her straight.

As it's Alfred himself who says "Westminster", not somebody else defining it, I would think that "real" Westminster, 1479 & 1480, is by far the most likely.

If you get to the FRC now and then, they do have a surname index for 1851 on fiche. Unfortunately, it looks as though you can no longer buy this - I think it was done by the old Westminster and Central Middlesex FHS, who are now part of the London and North Middlesex FHS, and LNMFHS don't list it on their website.

(If anyone knows differently, please chip in here - it's one that I wouldn't mind having at home myself!)

Best of luck.

busyglen
28-12-2004, 2:38 PM
Thanks for that info. Unfortunately I can't get to the FRC. By the time I got there by train and bus from where I live, it would be time to come back again! :(

I shall just have to be patient....it's taken me 4 years to establish that Alfred was in London around 1851 and not Bucks. I got the Bucks. CD and was very disappointed not to find the family....and now it looks as if his parents were dead at this time (still not proven, though I have been checking 1837online) which is a long process. Bucks or London? That is the question.

Many thanks again for your input....greatly appreciated. :)

Glenys