PDA

View Full Version : Ann Sinckler, or Sinclair

johnpritt
23-12-2004, 1:18 PM
On my great-grandfather's birth certificate (1840 in Whitehaven), his mother is named as Ann REEVES, formerly SINCKLER. The declarant was my g-g-grandfather, Thomas Reeves, who appears to have been illiterate, since his signature is an "X" with the clerk writing "the mark of..."
In the 1841 census, she is living with the family in Whitehaven. At the same address is a Jane SINCLAIR, aged 21, female servant.
How likely is it that the two women are sisters,do you think? Sinckler seems to be an extremely rare name in the UK (just 2 people listed in the 1901 census, for example). If my g-g-g-f couldn't write, I imagine he couldn't spell either, so the spelling of his wife's name would have been at the clerk's discretion, but why would he have chosen such a "strange" variant?
Thomas died in 1844, at which time his wife would have been aged about 30. If she later remarried, would she have married under her maiden name, or her widow's name? I have found a BMD record of an Ann Reeves marrying in 1849, and suspect it may be here.
Any thoughts welcomed, and with my best wishes for Christmas and the New Year to you all.

Geoffers
23-12-2004, 4:40 PM
[On my great-grandfather's birth certificate...his mother is named as Ann REEVES, formerly SINCKLER. In the 1841 census, she is living with the family in Whitehaven. At the same address is a Jane SINCLAIR, aged 21, female servant. How likely is it that the two women are sisters,do you think?]

If the name is rare in teh area, it is likely that they were related, they could have been sisters,cousins, or even aunt and niece.

[If my g-g-g-f couldn't write, I imagine he couldn't spell either, so the spelling of his wife's name would have been at the clerk's discretion, but why would he have chosen such a "strange" variant?]

Spelling of names, even amongst the literate, was not consistent. People simply wrote names and words as they sounded. A clerk could hardly ask an illiterate person how to spell their name, even if he had wanted to show himself up. Accents were much stronger 100, 150, 200 years ago. If you get someone moving to an area to marry and their accent wasn't one with which the clerk was familair , he'd just take a guess.

[Thomas died in 1844, at which time his wife would have been aged about 30. If she later remarried, would she have married under her maiden name, or her widow's name?]

She would have married under her married name. The mariage certificate may possibly record her name as being 'Reeves' formerly Sinclair' - or the only clue you may get is from the name of her father, which should be recorded on the certificate.

[with my best wishes for Christmas and the New Year to you all.]

And a Happy Christmas and prosperous New Year to you.

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

johnpritt
23-12-2004, 5:39 PM
Accents were much stronger 100, 150, 200 years ago.
Though my Dad was born in Cumberland, by the time I was born he had lived in the south of England for a fair bit and I think a lot of his accent must have gone. So I can only guess at how itmight have been pronounced.
According to the census return, both Ann and Thmas were born in Cumberland, so perhaps it was the clerk who was a stranger!!
Thanks for the thoughtful comments -- looks like I'll have to get the certificate of the second wedding to double check.

John