PDA

View Full Version : help understanding uncle's position

maufleury
18-04-2008, 1:50 AM
My great uncle was found on the 1901 UK census at Aldershot, in Stanhope and Wellington lines in the army service corps. He is living in the barracks and it said he was in the "cleaning area". He was a "soldier/butcher". Can anyone tell me what this means? Thanks!

HelenVSmith
18-04-2008, 2:51 AM
Hi

I would say he was in the army occupation butcher rather than being a gunner or infantryman.

My fellow was a soldier/musician.

Regards
Helen

ladysmith
18-04-2008, 6:22 PM
He was probably in the Army Service Corps. Their job was to keep the troops supplied with food, ammunition and other supplies in time of war. In peacetime or when stationed their main task was to supply food. The ASC had butchers, bakers, etc. in their ranks at that time.

David

maufleury
21-04-2008, 4:24 PM
Yes, he was in the Army Service Corps. So, would he not get an army pension? I can't find him in that database. Thanks to everyone for your help.

ladysmith
21-04-2008, 7:05 PM
The ASC was a fully integrated corps in the army so anyone who served in it would have the same pension rights as those in, say, a regular infantry regiment. I can't say why he doesn't show up in the pension records though.

David

Ladkyis
22-04-2008, 12:57 AM
Perhaps length of service had a bearing on pension. How long did he serve?

maufleury
23-04-2008, 2:32 PM
I'll have to check his medal card to see if I can figure out how long he was in the service. I find those things hard to read. Thanks!