PDA

View Full Version : Ireland.com

Kate Allan
17-04-2008, 5:33 AM
Hi there,

a general question, has anyone used the Ireland.com site for Irish genealogy? Have you found it useful? I' ve had a look but not used any of its services yet,

Just wondering before I take the plunge!

Kate

jeanettemarie
17-04-2008, 6:55 AM
I have looked at this site in the past, but it only gives vague information as to where the name is found in Ireland and other sources where the name may be found. Nothing definite before you pay, so I did'nt proceed any further as 25euros is a lot to pay when there is a possibility that it is not what you are looking for.
Jeanette

JNicLiam
18-04-2008, 12:28 AM
a general question, has anyone used the Ireland.com site for Irish genealogy?

There is quite a bit of the site that can be used for free -
incidence of surname under surname search,
ancestor search free to look at what it would include for a particular name in an area,
simple placename search free
under Browse useful information on records and links and articles.

So no have never paid but have got a lot of useful stuff for free.

Regards
Jill

v.wells
18-04-2008, 1:00 AM
Jeanette

Have you tried groireland.ie? The 1901 census is online now with more counties coming soon. What years and county are you looking at? There are a lot of Irish family history societies.

Kate Allan
18-04-2008, 6:13 AM
Haven't looked at groireland, will do. THere was an interesting wizard on the Ireland.com site though.........Think that's why I posted the first question!

I'm looking at Kerry (1800s) and Sligo( early 1800s), at this stage the census won't be of any use.

I did find a reference to the Killarney Genealogy centre, but it's closed!

Will check out the other places first, if I do 'take the plunge' I'll let you know,

Cheers, Kate

JNicLiam
18-04-2008, 11:28 PM
If you are looking at Kerry then the following is a useful site
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~irlker/index.html with plenty of good links.

Jill