PDA

View Full Version : POWELL STAFFORD PRISON

penword
16-04-2008, 7:16 PM
I have just found the 1881 census for my husbands ggg grandfather James Powell b 1856 a miner from rowley regis is in HMP stafford is there anyway I can find out what he was in prison for and for how long etc?

Jack Richards
16-04-2008, 10:34 PM
Apologies, I/we do not know your name but note you are based in Yorkshire.

As a starter you could plan and arrange a day trip to the County Record Office at Stafford where there is information within their Archives about Stafford Gaol, not sure if it was a called a prison in 1881.

Always pre-visit compile a work sheet of your "questions" for you to solve.

He may have been convicted of an offence that meant he could be detained therein for a short period of time or contrary a more lengthy sentence where he just happened to be in that gaol pending transfer elsewhere.

Next door to the Record Office is the William Salt Library where, once you have info. re-his criminal offence, you could view the copy newspaper - The Staffordshire Advertiser - hard copy not film/fische.

The staff at both these locations are exceptionall helpful and nothing is too much trouble for them. There is nearby ample open air car parking and both locations are within a 5 minute easy gentle walk. Your best route in is via the A34 for the car park.

Once you have found the reason for his detention, it may result in him being transferred to a prison, it could be Pentonville, Portland, Millbank or similar in which case you will have to plan a visit to The National Archives at Kew.

Hope this helps you.

Regards Jack

mandychap17@hot
25-04-2008, 7:44 PM
I e-mailed the archives at Stafford and a very kind lady e-mailed the details of an ancestor back to me My ancestor was given 6 months hard labour for stealing 3 chickens in 1861. I visited Stafford archives but didnt find anymore information than I got in the e-mail. I hope this helps

Regards
Mandy

Jack Richards
25-04-2008, 11:05 PM
Hi Mandy

But did you not visit "next door" the William Salt Library and view the hard copies of "The Staffordshire Advertiser" - who knows you may have discovered the local journalists report of the Court case.

Not sure of the location of "your crime" in Staffs. but if say in the area of Stoke on Trent, there are copies on film of the Staffordshire Mercury at Hanley Archives covering your research date.

Hope this helps.

Regards Jack