PDA

View Full Version : Surname Interests in Dorset

normab
12-04-2008, 11:31 AM
Hi everyone,

Although I have been using this site for some time, I haven't published my interests for Dorset, so here goes.

Caddy / OLD / OXFORD

The CADDY family also lived in Hampshire. I'd be pleased to hear from anyone else researching the same names.

Norma

John Murray
19-04-2008, 2:43 PM
Hello Norma
I have an OXFORD side shoot in my research

Charlotte Oxford married Charles THORNE December 1898 in Verwood Dorset

Her parent were Joseph Oxford and Ann?
His father was James Oxford
Regards
John

Dean Thomson
19-02-2011, 4:06 AM
Dear Norma, I hope you see this! My Caddy ancestors come from Buckhorn Weston and Kington Magna that I know of.
Doe you happen to be looking in these areas? If so maybe we can help each other. John Caddy - Elizabeth Abbot, Barnet Caddy - Grace Hatcher, William Caddy - Sarah Lanning.
Dean Thomson

normab
20-02-2011, 8:20 AM
Hello Dean, Thank you for contacting me. My Caddy ancestors come from Piddlehinton originally. Can you tell me what dates your family lived in Buckhorn Weston and Kington Magna. There is probably a connection, but I am not able to say without more information. My GT GT Grandfather was Benjamin 1805-1878 Regards Norma

Dean Thomson
21-02-2011, 2:00 AM
Dear Norma, That was a quick reply, so lets see what I can give you.
John Caddy 1769 - May 10, 1843 was married to Elizabeth Abbott 1769 -- May 10, 1844
Marriage of John Caddy and Elizabeth Abbott: St John the Baptist church of the parish of Buckhorn Weston, by banns, at Buckhorn Weston, 27 Apr 1795 (John James Toogood, Curate in the presence of Barnet Abbott) –– both parties are illiterate.
The children:
1. Margaret Dec. 20, 1795 -- ?
2. Barnet July 30, 1797 -- May 11, 1845 killed in a quarry accident, Weston quarry.
3. Harriet May 7, 1808 -- April 30, 1826
4. Charlotte August 30, 1811 -- ?
Barnet Caddy (my GG grandfather) married Grace Hatcher 1797 -- Dec.1839 on Feb 11, 1822 at Buckhorn Weston.
Their children: All born at Buckhorn Weston, I think except Job born at Woolston, N. Cadbury, Somerset
1. Matthias June 23, 1822 - Sept. 1883
2. Jon May 8, 1825 - March 1891
3. Harriet May 1827 - 1892
4. William April 24, 1829 - Jan 3, 1894 Eagle, Nebraska
5. Emanuel May 22, 1831 - Jan. 29 1906 Buried at civic cemetery, Buckhorn Weston
6. Bernart 1833 - March 2, 1914
7. Job Nov. 27, 1836 - Sept., 1903
8. George Joseph Nov. 1, 1839 - July 13, 1934 Watsonville, California
Two children immigrated to the USA George and William, my G grandfather.
I do have the marriages of the other children above and families if needed
My G grandfather William may have moved to Kington Magna at the time he married Sarah Lanning at All Saints church in 1867, certainly my grandfather Harry George Caddy was born at Kington Magna and probably William, Elizabeth and Martha Alice.
John Caddy was a dairy man in the 1841 census.
I've there were Caddys at Piddlehinton!
Regards,
Dean Thomson

wilhu01
06-03-2011, 10:17 PM
Hi Dean
I have distant connections to the Caddy family from Buckhorn Weston.
Through Martha Anne CADDY marrying Walter James WILLIAMS in 1886.
Martha (b 1864) was the daughter of Mathias CADDY and Fanny LUFFMAN.
If I have the right Mathias(c 1826) then from your information his father was Barnet CADDY.

Thanks for the information

Regards
Hugh williams

Dean Thomson
07-03-2011, 5:32 PM
Hugh,
Do you have any Caddy family pictures or information about what Matthias worked at?
Would like to know these thing. Also very glad to have heard from you, you must be third cousin perhaps
Thans for your info.
Dean

wilhu01
07-03-2011, 11:30 PM
Dean

I am afraid I do not know an awful lot about the Caddy family as I have not fully research this area of my family. I was just looking for items on Buckhorn Weston and I came across your entry.
I guess from your information that you have the 1881 census details of Mathias/Fanny and Thomas.
If you do not have details of other census I could look them up.
Walter James Williams was the nephew of my Great Grandfather.
Agnes, daughter of Walter and Martha, was the last Williams living in the village. She was a school teacher there and never married.
I notice there are a few Lanning girls in our trees.
Let me know if there is anything I can try to help with.

Regards

Hugh

Dean Thomson
08-03-2011, 2:19 AM
Hugh,
I was kind of in a hurry earlier today when I left my other message maybe I

can do better now!
I have been fortunate enough to have the input of a man in Kent doing

research on the Caddys so he filled in some blanks for me using the various

census. I have been fortunate to find details on six of the eight children of

Bernart/Bernard Caddy through him fairly well. The other two, William (my own

GGrandfather) already had all the details and the other George was a brother

who went to Canada, then California & his descendents located my uncle and

got the details from that family through that encounter.
I did not have the maiden name of Matthias wife (Luffman) which you supplied.
Yes I saw the 1881 details but seem to have not gotten all details I don't

think.
Listed below is what I seem to be missing:
I would like the birth/death dates of Fanny and exact marriage dates if

available & location.
I would like exact detaials of their four children ( I understand you are

working mainly from the various census
therefore may not have what i am asking for).
Was Agnes the only child of Walter Williams & martha Ann Caddy?
I would like the birth/death dates of Agnes daughter of Walter & Martha Ann.
My GGrandmother Sarah Lanning as I guess you saw was married to William

Caddy, their were 13 in her family and I don't know the details about all

them but some, naturally when you said you have Lanning girls in your tree

this intrigued me. Sarah was the daughter of Job & Ann (Smart) Lanning. Also

I have the suppose Lanning tree back to the 1500's if you are interested.
I should mention that the Caddys seem mostly to be a Dairying family in the

mid 1800's
Any scraps of info are appreciated

Dean

wilhu01
08-03-2011, 10:54 PM
Hi Dean

Just spent about an hour giving you census information on Mathias Caddy and when I sent it I had been timed out. So lost everything.
Will try adain to-morrow.

Regards

Hugh

wilhu01
08-03-2011, 11:47 PM
1841 Mathias working as farmer’s servant for John Kerridge at Hope Farm, Buckhorn Weston.
Fanny Luffman living with her parents William (a butcher) and Ann and her sister (which looks like) Martha.

1851 Now living with his wife Fanny work as farm labourer. Next door to William and Ann Luffman and their lodger Emanuel Caddy. also a farm labourer.

1861 Now living in Purse Caundle at Tripps Farm, working as a Dairyman.
With him was Fanny and their children Walter, Alice and Thomas. Also there were Thomas (38) and Martha Brickell (36)
The name Martha Brickell turns up in my tree marrying Robert Williams in Dec 1800.
Perhaps some relation.

1871 Now back in BW shown as Ag Lab. Living with Fanny (a glover), Thomas, Agnes and Ann (Martha).
Next door was William and Ann Luffman and their grandson Walter Caddy (a cabinet maker)

1881 Still in BW but now described as a farm servant and Fanny a laundress. Thomas is also with them possibly an 8/- Ostler ?
They are living next door to the school house (which was built by Noah Read the brother of my G/Grandmother Jane.
They also had boarders John Dartnell a sawyer and Thomas Ayling a earthenware potter.

Regards

Hugh

Dean Thomson
25-06-2011, 11:20 PM
Hi Norma or anyone else interested in the Lanning surname in Dorset!
Specifially I am interested to know if anyone knows the dates for Thomas Lanning who married Rose White at Kington Magna on Nov. 8, 1791. They became the parents of Job Lanning who married Ann Smart from Horsington, Somerset. They also had eight other children. The Lannings lived at Kington Magna for many generations from what I have found out!
Thanks anyone for any info!
Regards,
Dean

Dean Thomson
20-11-2011, 9:40 PM
Kington Magna, Dorset was the home to my Granfather Harry george Caddy two siblings and his parents William & Sarah Caddy.
I just found out from the 1871 census that they were living at Blackmores Farm at that time & William was a Dairyman renting twenty acres.
Does anyone living in the area happen to know where this farm would be located from Kington Magna? Could it be that it has retained the same name after all these years?
Any information will be appreciated.
Dean Thomson

JenniLl
20-11-2011, 10:06 PM
Hello Dean,

To extend your name search a little further...
I went to school in (Epsom) Surrey during the 1950s with a girl by the surname of Caddy. In Hampshire (near Romsey, at least until recently) were a family by the name of Lanning.

Jenni