PDA

View Full Version : SURCCO Canal Boats

Staffs Boaties
11-04-2008, 6:02 PM
Hi,

Does anyone have any information on the following boats which I think were owned by SURCCO:

Cressent (or Crescent) would have been in Audlem 1909
Suffolk would have been in Runcorn in 1882
Chester would have been in Nantwich 1902
Princess would have been in Nantwich 1907
Cromer would have been in Market Drayton 1907

Any details would be appreciated. I do have other boat names which I have found details for so if anyone is searching for other SURCCO boats let me know and I'll see if I have anything on them

ann.pitts
17-04-2008, 8:11 PM
i believe my grandfather was with surcco i know of his youngest daughters baptism was at st marys wolverhampton in 1899 it states surcco at time of baptism
i have searched so many places regarding any canal boatmen records without success can you enlighten me where i may find such records
also he was on a boat mary in 1881 census whether this boat belongs to the fleet
with thanks ann

thedogs
11-08-2008, 5:20 PM
hi,ann, hi also have been looking for info not on the canal boat but the family my g/mother was isabella taylor her parents: james & hannah taylor they were all on the suffolk in the 1891 census if they are connected can you get back to me ttfn bob

ann.pitts
12-08-2008, 5:47 AM
sorry i didnt realise i hadn't mentioned my grandfathers name william and ellen flatley and family not who you are searching
ann

Staffs Boaties
12-08-2008, 5:23 PM
Hi Bob where were they in the 1891 census? I don't have any Taylors in my family tree. Do you have any other names such as witnesses to marriages etc?

thedogs
13-08-2008, 8:14 PM
hi ann im researching the names of helps,jukes,box & taylor all canal boatpeople or later as dockers in salford.i've mainly found the "helps name" varies from earp,earps,elps,elphe. if you have any info on avy of these names i would be grateful also if i can help you in any way please don't hesitate to ask hope to hear from you soon bob

thedogs
13-08-2008, 8:19 PM
hi staffs boaties, the other names im looking up are helps,jukes, & box all from around ryton on dunsmore warwickshire or stone in staffs any info i would be grateful for bob

Ladkyis
13-08-2008, 11:21 PM
Can I just give a little advice here about how to put the names you are researching into a message. It is much easier to see the surnames if you put them in CAPITAL letters.
I know that in most circumstances this is regarded as shouting, but in family history terms it is always a help if the readers can see the surnames easily.
Another good reason is that some surnames are the same as ordinary words and could be missed HELP for example. Some readers might not recognise it as a name if they are skimming through looking for names.
If the names are in Capitals it makes it really clear which words are names and which are just pleas for assistance.

I hope this helps:D

thedogs
16-08-2008, 5:53 AM
ladkyis thank you for that i will remember to BOB

Staffs Boaties
29-01-2009, 6:42 PM
I've also found out that my relatives were on the following boats as well:

Frederick
Orange
Sabrina
Sirdar
Crow

Richard1955
06-02-2009, 9:53 AM
I have lots of info on PUMPHREY family members that used the canals between Tewkesbury and Staffordshire. Don't know why they did or anything about the boats if anyone can help.

Staffs Boaties
06-02-2009, 5:34 PM
I don't know anything about the Tewkesbury canal I'm afraid. Mine worked on the Shropshire Union and Cheshire canals. Have you tried the National Waterways Museum or Canal Junction?

ann.pitts
01-06-2009, 8:12 PM
my grandfather william flatley 1863 lowhill kidderminster .he was on boat mary in cannock canal basin in 1901,does anyone recognise the boat name either being owned by a s.u r.c.c o or privately owned.
i am still looking for records of williams life on the canals
ann

allyj50
23-08-2009, 12:32 AM
I don't know anything about the Tewkesbury canal I'm afraid. Mine worked on the Shropshire Union and Cheshire canals. Have you tried the National Waterways Museum or Canal Junction?

Do you mean the boat museum at ellesmere port? Would I be able to find out who owned a boat that my husband's uncle worked on? If not there, where might I find a register for such a thing?

Ally x

thedogs
24-08-2009, 6:32 PM
hi all, what i have about the the canal-boat SUFFOLK is on the 1891 census it was in SALFORD with a crew of JAMES TAYLOR head age 42 as master of barge born tipton staffs, wife HANNAH TAYLOR age 41 born bratch staffs and ISABELLA TAYLOR age 14 born runcorn, as was the barge registered at runcorn. if you have any info on this family please contact me bob

Staffs Boaties
24-08-2009, 7:43 PM
Do you mean the boat museum at ellesmere port? Would I be able to find out who owned a boat that my husband's uncle worked on? If not there, where might I find a register for such a thing?

Ally x

The boat museum at ellesmere port is probably the best place as they were able to give me information which was not available on the internet

Staffs Boaties
24-08-2009, 7:50 PM
hi all, what i have about the the canal-boat SUFFOLK is on the 1891 census it was in SALFORD with a crew of JAMES TAYLOR head age 42 as master of barge born tipton staffs, wife HANNAH TAYLOR age 41 born bratch staffs and ISABELLA TAYLOR age 14 born runcorn, as was the barge registered at runcorn. if you have any info on this family please contact me bob

Hi, I don't have anything on the Taylors. The narrowboat Suffolk was in Runcorn between 31st March - 17th April 1882. I believe it was a S.U.R.C.Co owned boat

LSin3
17-02-2010, 7:57 PM
Hi,
I have'nt veiwed this site for a while, I hope you are still interested in JUKES and EARPS. I have a marriage cert. for Emma Earp b.c. 1827 Staffs, Dau.of Thomas Earp (boatman) marrying William Jukes b.c.1827 Staffs (boatman),Son of John Jukes (boatman). Marr. took place 3/9/1848, Parish church, Sedgley. Their daughter, Selina b.27/2/1849, Tipton married Thomas Pope b.1846, Manchester (boatman). They married 1/5/1865, Parish church Manchester.
Thomas Pope was part of a large family of boatmen from Cheshire that had settled in Manchester in early 1800's. They appear to have all worked for coal companies either as boatmen or carters. Best wishes, Lillian