PDA

View Full Version : Help for problem family

hutchshottie
11-04-2008, 2:30 PM
You guys have helped me so much recently.
I hope you can help a friend of mine

I have searched as far as i can, i hope you experienced and talented people can help

Her mother is dying and before she dies, my friend wants to learn about her grandparents, of whom her mother has no idea about.

All the info i have is ---------
My friends mother is called Dorothy B***. She was brought up as a Dorothy B**** but was born to parents who abandoned her and possibily a sister. (It is believed she lived with relatives but the dear old lady has never spoken about her childhood)
One photo states the name P Horsman, he is believed to be the father. The mothers name is believed to be Louise.
Dorothy was born 10th Nov 1919. I have searched under her birth name and the name she was brought up with (which was Brown) no joy
She was born in Benhall Saxmundhum. Due to a possibile bad childhood. No certificates or other info survives. Dorothy has never spoken of her birth family. It is unclear if the B**** family adopted Dorothy or not.

I have tried varaints of the surname as the spelling may be off.

Any ideas on where i could go to help her?
No other info is available so its quite limited for someone like me, who is less advanced!!

Any advice would be great. Thanks

Ann65
11-04-2008, 3:10 PM
Births arent an exact science since theres a clear six months after actual birth date in which to register.

On That basis, the door opens JUST slightly.

There is a Dorothy I Chubbock listed mothers maiden name Brown Mutford District, reg Mar Qtr 1920.

Are you absolutely certain of the birthdate? there is also a Dorothy G Brown Mothers Maiden name Phipp Flegg District reg Sep Qtr 1919.

As far as adoption papers go, I recall when I used to visit the old BMD repository, St Catherines House, that Adoption indexes existed. You had to know the adoptive name. I think you have to be the actual adoptive person or a direct descendant if they have passed on to gain access to the certificates though. Perhaps your friends mother is capable of writing a note to the effect she wants her certificate which your friend could take to Kew (where those records presumably are now).

peter nicholl
11-04-2008, 6:50 PM
Saxmundham was in the Plomesgate Registration District. By going to FreeBMD and searching the Births just on Dorothy; Plomesgate District; December Quarter 1919, it shows Dorothy Brown, Mothers surname Brown; Ref Plomesgate 4a,2093.
A further search on Births Surname Brown, Mother Brown shows the following (all Plomesgate 4a) Male March 1916 (2912) Died March 1916 (1283); Female December 1917 (1420) Died December 1917 (1420); Elsie M June 1918 (1542); Dorothy December 1919 (2107) and Marion September 1921 (1961).
HTH
Peter

uksearch
11-04-2008, 7:15 PM
SNIP
As far as adoption papers go, I recall when I used to visit the old BMD repository, St Catherines House, that Adoption indexes existed. You had to know the adoptive name. I think you have to be the actual adoptive person or a direct descendant if they have passed on to gain access to the certificates though. Perhaps your friends mother is capable of writing a note to the effect she wants her certificate which your friend could take to Kew (where those records presumably are now).

Just for information. For details about the Public Index To Adopted Children Register 1927 -45 (and later) see the link below.

http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28131

UK

Wirral
12-04-2008, 9:00 AM
Births arent an exact science since theres a clear six months after actual birth date in which to register.

It is 6 weeks, not 6 months in the UK.

Tabatha
06-06-2008, 6:14 PM
[QUOTE=Ann65;153942]Births arent an exact science since theres a clear six months after actual birth date in which to register.

On That basis, the door opens JUST slightly.

Tabatha
06-06-2008, 6:24 PM
Well I messed that up - I was trying to refer to Ann's quote about there being 6 months in which to register a birth. A later post by someone else corrected that saying it was 6 weeks -

I want to know if that means the actual birth date might not be correct on a certificate? Doesn't the date of birth have to be accurate?? But it can be registered late??

Ann65
06-06-2008, 6:53 PM
Yes, without penalties theres a clear six weeks. With penalties theres a clear six months - or used to be! I know this cos uhm well my dads cousins official date of birth is a day after his actual birth cos his long since dead parents forgot to register within 6 months - and realised that was a serious crime, so changed the date to qualify with a penalty.

Peter Goodey
06-06-2008, 6:56 PM
I was just about to post something when I saw that Peter Nicholl has already spotted the same entry.

I'll give the thread a nudge just to say that I'll be surprised if the Dorothy Brown that Peter N. found doesn't turn out to be the one you want.

Ann65
06-06-2008, 6:57 PM
see here:

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/births/registeringabirth/registerwhenchildisolder.asp