PDA

View Full Version : What do I do now?

arquebus
10-04-2008, 8:45 PM
I have a name: Thomasina Burgon (or maybe Burgen)

I have a [possible] birthdate: June 1902 [From FreeBMD]

I have the name of one of her several sons who is trying to track down his tree: Still alive...he uses 'Burgen'

I have his birthdate: Still alive

I know where he was born: Gilsland Convalescent Home, Brampton

I know where she was working as a Dom Serv: Hartford Colliery, Cramlington.

Father: not given....(don't know if she was widowed or otherwise)

This info is from his birth certificate.....which was issued in 1966 Borders/Cumberland/Carlisle. (not his birthdate).

I have found two or three [potential] sisters of hers on Ancestry (because there are several females born over a similar period as her who have the 'ina' on the end of their unusual names.

I cannot find a death or marriage listed anywhere.

If the FreeBMD one is the right one, it would appear there are middle names of 'Manning' and 'W' (Manning,....odd for a female?).....Was she married at some stage perhaps? Was Manning her maiden name???
Also if FreeBMD is correct, she was born in Berwick.

Can anyone throw any light on this, please?

I suppose at 106 she could still be alive!!!!

Thanks Al.

Jan1954
10-04-2008, 8:55 PM
Hello Al,

Were Thomasina's potential sisters older than her? (Fingers crossed!) If so, is the Ancestry record that you have found, the 1901 census?

Can her son remember her birthday and if so, does it match with the birth records that you have found? If it does, I would suggest ordering the certificate to see if it ties in at all with the above.

Alan Welsford
10-04-2008, 9:25 PM
(Manning,....odd for a female.
Not at all.

Surnames regularly appear as second or third names of boys or girls.

Quite often it's a mother's, or a grandmothers, or even a great grandmothers name. They can often get handed down through enough generations that nobody is sure where they came from in the first place.

I tried the obvious possibility of looking for a suitable BURGON/MANNING marriage, but unfortunately drew a blank.

What are the other 'ina' names you have found, and does the index show second or third names for them.

I was intrigued by a Robina Grahame L BURGON. I'm assuming that's female, in which case Grahame also seems to be a surname used as a second name, I'd have thought.

A.

arquebus
10-04-2008, 9:40 PM
The [potential.....purely a guess on my part] sisters I found on Ancestry were from the 1901 Census generally.....names like Efflina, Agnesina, Rosina and Robina...They seem to also be in the Berwick area, but of course this doesn't prove we have the right Thomasina.

As far as her son is concerned the most he can recall is that he was found wrapped up in a newspaper on a doorstep.....which doesn't quite tie up with Gilsland Convalescent Home.

He knows nothing about her other than her Christian name and that he was one of at least eight (apparently) and that one of them had a different surname of 'Wall'.....seems Thomasina was a busy girl.

He didn't even spot the different surname spelling of Burgen on his birth certificate until I showed him......but when he was a kid at school, he was told off for repeatedly using Burgon...

Bear in mind his birth cert was acquired for him by HM Forces for overseas work in 1966....by that time he had got used to using Burgen.

The only thing I can think of is that he does the rounds of the Registrars Offices in all the appropriate areas....which will be somewhat awkward considering he live in the South.

Thanks Al.

Alan Welsford
10-04-2008, 11:10 PM
I'm not sure what you are doing, that I'm not managing to, but I can't turn up Efflina or Agnesina in 1901. (In fact I can't find Agnesina with any surname in 1901 - and only 2 Efflinas with other surnames).

It is possible to find both the 1898 and 1899 Berwick born Robinas with families in 1901, but those families show no tendency to end all names with 'ina'.

If you have the name Thomasina as a definite, it seems highly unlikely to me that there are many of these, and the birth registration would seem to be the right one.

Births Jun 1902
-----------------------------------------------
Burgon Thomasina Manning W Berwick 10b 531

I think you should order up that certificate.

I don't think you will find a subsequent marriage for her, though :o

A.

arquebus
11-04-2008, 9:12 AM
Hi Alan....These are what I found....as I said they may or may not be related.

England & Wales, FreeBMD Birth Index: 1837-1983
Birth, Marriage & Death
View Image
Name: Efflina Wakenshaw
Year of Registration: 1918
Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar
Mother's Maiden Name: Burgen
District: Berwick
County: Durham, Northumberland
Volume: 10b
Name: Efflina Wakenshaw
Mother: Burgen
Birth: Mar 1918 - Berwick, Durham, Northumberland

1901 England Census
Census & Voter Lists
Name: Rosena M Burgon
Birth: abt 1900 - city, Northumberland, England
Residence: 1901 - city, Northumberland, England

1901 England Census
Census & Voter Lists
Name: Agnisina Burgon
Birth: abt 1897 - city, Northumberland, England
Residence: 1901 - township, city, Northumberland, England

Birth, Marriage & Death
Name: Rosina Maddan Burgon
Birth: Dec 1900 - Berwick, Durham, Northumberland

Birth, Marriage & Death
Name: Robina Burgon
Birth: Dec 1899 - Berwick, Durham, Northumberland

Birth, Marriage & Death
Name: Jamesina Burgon
Birth: Jun 1906 - Berwick, Durham, Northumberland

Birth, Marriage & Death
Name: Robina Grahame L Burgon
Birth: Mar 1898 - Berwick, Durham, Northumberland

I get the distinct impression they could be related to Thomasina, but of course, speculation is an easy way to build a family tree.....I would have had mine solved years ago if I relied solely on guesswork.

But I think you are right, it may be worth acquiring her certificate, but it still won't tell us what happened to her.

Thanks Al.

Ann65
11-04-2008, 9:20 AM
Dont forget the FREE BMD Indexes are not fully comprehensive.....

Its possible the death of Thomasina Burge/on hasnt been transcribed yet.

Ann65
11-04-2008, 9:34 AM
The death of a Jamesina Thompson Burgon recorded Jan 1994 Durham Central Dist
date of birth recorded as 16.08.1923 Ref: DC41A 123 Full Death Indexes 1984-2005.

The death of an Alfreda Burgin Jun 1990 Rotherham Yks
date of birth recorded as 09.06.1908 Ref 3 796 Full Death Indexes 1984-2005

Ann65
11-04-2008, 9:55 AM
Efflina is an usual name.

Berwick Upon Tweed, Northumberland 1891
rg12 4267 70 29

James Burgon 35 Scotland Fisherman
Joanna Ann Burgon 36 Berwick
Peter Burgon 12 Berwick
Alexander Burgon 10 Berwick
Agnes Burgon 8 Berwick
EFFLINA BURGON 6 Berwick
William Burgon 4 Berwick

Seems there are others on the same page of this family:

Peter Burgon 68 Berwick Fisherman
Agnes Burgon 68 Berwick

William Burgon 45 Berwick Fisherman
Elizabeth Burgon 50 Berwick
William Burgon 24 Berwick Fisherman
Peter Burgon 21 Berwick Fisherman
Agnes Burgon 19 Berwick
John Burgon 16 Berwick Fisherman
Jane Burgon 11 Berwick
Elizabeth Burgon 6 Berwick

John Burgon 40 Berwick Fisherman
Agnes Burgon 31 Berwick

James Burgon 42 Berwick Fisherman
Elizabeth Burgon 41 Berwick
James Burgon 17 Berwick Fisherman
Margaret Burgon 13 Berwick
John Burgon 11 Berwick
Alexander Burgon 8 Berwick
Henry Burgon 6 Berwick
David Burgon 4 Berwick
Mary Burgon 2 Berwick
Ruth Burgon 7months Berwick

Ann65
11-04-2008, 10:05 AM
Efflina is an usual name.

Berwick Upon Tweed, Northumberland 1891
rg12 4267 70 29

James Burgon 35 Scotland Fisherman
Joanna Ann Burgon 36 Berwick
Peter Burgon 12 Berwick
Alexander Burgon 10 Berwick
Agnes Burgon 8 Berwick
EFFLINA BURGON 6 Berwick
William Burgon 4 Berwick

Seems there are others on the same page of this family:

Peter Burgon 68 Berwick Fisherman
Agnes Burgon 68 Berwick

William Burgon 45 Berwick Fisherman
Elizabeth Burgon 50 Berwick
William Burgon 24 Berwick Fisherman
Peter Burgon 21 Berwick Fisherman
Agnes Burgon 19 Berwick
John Burgon 16 Berwick Fisherman
Jane Burgon 11 Berwick
Elizabeth Burgon 6 Berwick

John Burgon 40 Berwick Fisherman
Agnes Burgon 31 Berwick

James Burgon 42 Berwick Fisherman
Elizabeth Burgon 41 Berwick
James Burgon 17 Berwick Fisherman
Margaret Burgon 13 Berwick
John Burgon 11 Berwick
Alexander Burgon 8 Berwick
Henry Burgon 6 Berwick
David Burgon 4 Berwick
Mary Burgon 2 Berwick
Ruth Burgon 7months Berwick

Alan Welsford
11-04-2008, 10:58 AM
I see Ann is working hard on your behalf,

I guess there is a chance we will duplicate info, but here goes...

The 1918 born Efflina WAKENSHAW you have listed with a mother's name of BURGEN clearly indicates a marriage between a WAKENSHAW and a BURGON/BURGEN at some point before that.

There are two possible WAKENSHAW/BURGON parings via FreeBMD.

Surname First name(s) District Vol Page

Marriages Dec 1901
-----------------------------------------------------
Burgon James Berwick 10b 746
LITSTER Janet Berwick 10b 746
SLATER William Berwick 10b 746
WAKENSHAW Isabella C Berwick 10b 746

Surname First name(s) District Vol Page

Marriages Mar 1902
-----------------------------------------------------
Burgon Agnes Berwick 10b 677
Henderson Mary Berwick 10b 677
Ternent John Berwick 10b 677
Wakenshaw William Renton Berwick 10b 677

Of these only the second is a male WAKENSHAW to a female BURGON.
So I suppose there's a fair chance that William Renton WAKENSHAW and Agnes BURGON are Efflina WAKENSHAW's parents.

These could be further children of the same parents, but note that none has a name ending in 'ina'. In fact these all have very "normal" names.

Surname First name(s) Mother District Vol Page

Births Mar 1912
-----------------------------------------
Wakenshaw Peter B Burgon Berwick 10b 1002

Births Jun 1914
------------------------------------------
WAKENSHAW Joanna R Burgon Berwick 10b 1035

Births Sep 1919
------------------------------------------
Wakenshaw Mary Burgon Berwick 10b 918

Births Sep 1921
-------------------------------------------
Wakenshaw Ellen Burgon Berwick 10b 1036

To be honest, this is taking us quite a long way from the original question, and I'm not quite sure if it's leading anywhere helpful at all :o

Alan

Alan Welsford
11-04-2008, 11:01 AM
As far as her son is concerned the most he can recall is that he was found wrapped up in a newspaper on a doorstep.....
That's a phenomenal memory ! I struggle to remember anything of my life before I was about 10!

(Sorry couldn't resist. :o)

arquebus
11-04-2008, 11:05 AM
Thanks to all of you for looking, but I think Alan is probably correct is that it is not really going in the right direction, because as yet, we haven't actually established that the only Thomasina I found is in fact my friend's mother......It could be, but it would mean that she was not young when she gave birth......

....consequently, I don't appear to have any start point for researching her death (if she is indeed dead).

I think our only hope is that someone else has done some research and has her (and him) in their family.

Thanks Al.

Ann65
11-04-2008, 11:56 AM
Nicely done there Al. :)

I did a check on any Thomasina Burgen/Burgons in Ancestrys deposited family histories and came up with zilch.

I did find Efflina again though! - daughter of James Burge/on and Joanna Ann Richardson. James was the son of the aforementioned (on census) Peter and Agnes.

Peters brother, David Burgon and Margaret Edwards were the parents of Robina Edwards Burgon b.cir 1850 she married a John Crombie.

Robina Graham Burgon was daughter of Alexander Burgon and Isabella McGall Buglass, and he was the son of James Burgon and Margaret Robinson, he in turn being s/o James Burgon and Ann Crowe.

Rosena M Burgon daughter of Robert Burgon and Margaret s/o James and Margaret Robinson.

Although it seems to answer some of your queries, it doesnt answer the Thomasina Question :(

Oh well it might prove useful to someone out there!!

jimdearden
25-05-2008, 2:09 PM
I've been looking into my wifes family - Richardson from Berwick and found a Burgon link.

The Efflina in the Burgon family comes down from Effelina Jackson ( b1822 Berwick) who married Alexander Richardson (b1817). Their daughter (Johanna Ann Richardson b 1854) married James Burgon (b1856). James was the son of Peter Burgon(1823) and Agnes (unk)(1822) . His grandparents were Peter Burgon (1798 1882) and Jane Ramsey (1794 - 1896) - all born Berwick.

They had 8 children - including Efflina.

Jackson (as a middle name) came down through the male Richardsons and the Scotts family.

jimdearden
29-05-2008, 8:29 PM
James Burgon and Joanna Richardson had an Agnes (b circa 1882) - I don't have confirmation of her marriage but a strong possiblity is the 1902 marriage in Berwick (see previous post)

Burgon Agnes 10b 677
Wakenshaw William Renton 10b 677

Agnes' grandmother would be Efflina Richardson (nee Jackson).

Hope this helps

Jim

jimdearden
29-05-2008, 8:48 PM
Born 1910 Berwick.

Daughter of Alexander Burgon and Eliza Jane Webb.

Alexander was the brother of Agnes and Efflina Burgon (son of James and Joanna). Her siblings were James (1908) Charles(1911) and Peter(1913).

hope this helps.

arquebus
28-07-2008, 11:23 AM
Mother of my friend was Thomasina Burgen...born 1916.

Daughter of Thomas Burgen + Martha Burgen (nee Allen). (Thomas Burgen's parents: James Burgon + Susan Burgon (nee Ewart))

Thomasina had two sisters, Isabella and Martha, plus twin sisters that died at birth.

Appear to have lived Tynemouth / Blyth / Cramlington (Hartford Colliery).

Have located 5 living siblings of my friend.....three brothers and two sisters.

So.....thanks all for your assistance......We are still looking, so if you should happen to come across any potential living relatives, please PM me.

Thanks again. Al.

wordreiver
08-09-2011, 10:37 PM
Hi. My grandmother's name was Henrietta Burgon b. 1898 in North Shields. She used to work at the Convalescent Home in Gillsland. Not sure why she was so far from home. Her sister's name was Agnesina who was b. 1896.