PDA

View Full Version : JIMMY?

LancsLass
10-04-2008, 9:20 AM
Can anyone help with a family mystery? I am trying to identify a man in various family photographs known only as Uncle Jimmy Strachan (born about 1885). Photos taken say 1920 ish but he is remembered by a cousin born 1933.

I don't have any suitable James or Johns.

However the photos were taken in London but it is quite possible that Uncle Jimmy was born in Scotland. Which makes me wonder about the somewhat derogatory reference, to a Glaswegians in particular, as Jimmy. Does anyone know when this came into use? Could this man be called Jimmy simply because he came from Scotland?

Any / all ideas very welcome.

Many thanks

Sarah

joette
11-04-2008, 11:56 AM
Have you thought that the James could be a middle name?
We have various James in my family as my Grandfather was James they are variously Jim,Jimmy,James & even Uncle Jim & Uncle Jim Beard(my nephew decided how to distinguish between his two Uncles!)
"Hey Jimmy" is a common sobriquet in Glasgow to a passing unknown male but I suspect would not be used in the time you are researching.I think it originated because James was such a popular name for boys in Glasgow& if you called "Jimmy" you were likely to be right.

I was just thinking that maybe there is a common christian name in your family & lots of cousins were named for their Grandfather for example & one wanting to distinguish himself prefered a middle name hence Jimmy.

It may just be that he was born in Engalnd or elsewhere & that's why you're not finding him.

LancsLass
14-04-2008, 2:20 PM
Hi Joette

Many thanks for puzzling over this one for me, I admit I hadn't focussed on middle names which was an omision.

The good news is that the James I first identified does seem to fit (he seems rather old in some photos and young in others) but another member of the family has named his wife and her name fits my research.

I am glad you share my view that "Hey Jimmy" is a rather more modern term it didn't seem a likely Victorian turn of phrase.
Thanks again
Sarah