PDA

View Full Version : Boatman Olbury

Roselind
07-04-2008, 4:07 AM
Hi I have a Peter Lewis as a boatman in Oldbury around 1890 any info would be wonderful as I cant seem to find anthing on him.
Cheers Roselind

Alan Welsford
07-04-2008, 11:51 AM
Hi I have a Peter Lewis as a boatman in Olbury around 1890 any info would be wonderful as I cant seem to find anthing on him.
Cheers Roselind
Hi Rosalind,

Do you have anything more at all ?

Approximate date of birth or age ?

What is your source for the limited information you have given, please ?

A boatman in Oldbury (which is what I'm assuming the place to be), could either have been someone who worked short haul "day boats" on the Birmingham Canal Navigations, (BCN), and did not live aboard, or he could have been a longer distance operator of narrow boats, who may well have lived on the boats, (with or without a family). Either way you are likely to be talking about some variety of "narrow boat", as just about all locks in and around Birmingham were, (and still are), of nominal 7 foot width.

Alan

bumblebee
07-04-2008, 11:58 AM
There is a Peter Lewis on the 1901 census in Oldbury, Worcestershire

Rounds Fold?

Emma Lewis 56 Head, Widow Charwoman. born Gloucestershire Forest of Dean.
George Lewis 17 Son Bargeboatman, (canal) born Worcestershire, Oldbury.
Peter Lewis 10 Grandson, born Worcestershire, Oldbury

Class: RG13; Piece: 2717; Folio: 12; Page: 15.

Bumblebee

Roselind
08-04-2008, 3:57 AM
Hi Rosalind,

Do you have anything more at all ?

Approximate date of birth or age ?

What is your source for the limited information you have given, please ?

A boatman in Oldbury (which is what I'm assuming the place to be), could either have been someone who worked short haul "day boats" on the Birmingham Canal Navigations, (BCN), and did not live aboard, or he could have been a longer distance operator of narrow boats, who may well have lived on the boats, (with or without a family). Either way you are likely to be talking about some variety of "narrow boat", as just about all locks in and around Birmingham were, (and still are), of nominal 7 foot width.

Alan
I have very little, Peter Lewis was supposed to have died around 1897 at the age of 27, on his sons birth cert in 1891 Peters occupation was a boatman lived 6 steel road oldbury. Any help is appreciated.Cheers Roselind

Roselind
08-04-2008, 4:01 AM
Many Thanks for this info the Peter on the 1901 census may be connected as we have four generations so far named peter.

Alan Welsford
08-04-2008, 4:13 PM
I have very little, Peter Lewis was supposed to have died around 1897 at the age of 27, on his sons birth cert in 1891 Peters occupation was a boatman lived 6 steel road oldbury. Any help is appreciated.Cheers Roselind
Well it sounds like despite being a canal boatman, he gave a land based address at the time of his son's birth.

That would suggest to me that he only worked on the boats by days, on short haul traffic, but otherwise lived with his family at a land based address.

Given the location, this is not surprising, as much of the traffic on the Birmingham Canal Navigations used day boats, which did not have the traditional cabins for living afloat.

Of course the other possibility is of a family normally afloat, who went to a land based address for the birth of a child. I think that's unlikely, for families who lived afloat, the children were usually born onboard, wherever the boats happened to be at the time. Usually a birth would slow their progress by a few days, at most - surprising, but that's how life was for them.

Alan