PDA

View Full Version : Samuel Maycock - emigrated to Canada 1901

Barbie55
06-04-2008, 10:35 PM
Hi there. I have been researching my family for about a year and have only recently found my grandmother and her brothers. I live in Wrexham, Wales.

My grandmother's brothers Samuel and Arthur Maycock were sent to Halifax, Nova Scotia in May 1901. They were previously in the Children's Emigration Home in Birmingham.

I have found Arthur who died in WW1 in France as a sergeant in the Canadian Army. But Samuel does not appear in the 1911 census in Canada or back in Britain (well I can't find him).

My father didn't really talk about his family, his mother died when he was 11 and his father wasn't the talkative type I don't think. But I do remember my dad saying that when his mum died in 1924 his uncle bought him a suit for the funeral. His dad was an only child so I'm assuming this must have been Samuel who had somehow made it back to Britain.

Any ideas on where to look next? I'm a bit stuck.

Thanks Barbara

Jan1954
06-04-2008, 11:11 PM
Hello Barbie and welcome to Brit-Gen. |wave|

Have you checked the local newspaper archives for a write-up of your grandmother's funeral?

Depending upon where this was, there may be some detail there. I have a couple of rural funerals (1923 and 1936) where the detail of the mourners provided me with some wonderful family information, including their relationship with the deceased.

Barbie55
08-04-2008, 4:47 PM
Thanks I'll give it a try

Mary Anne
08-04-2008, 7:33 PM
Hello Barbie55

The British Isles Family History Society of Greater Ottawa has put online a database for Middlemore Home Children who were sent to Canada from Birmingham.

Both Samuel and Arthur are there: They were 11 and 12 respectively when they were sent to New Brunswick aboard the Sicilian on 25 May 1901. The database was transcribed from the Middlemore collection at the Library and Archives Canada (LAC) and has been cross-referenced with a number of other documents at LAC - for example, ships' passenger lists. The database and an explanation of how it was derived is at http://www.bifhsgo.ca/home_children_index.htm

You can obtain further information (there is usually LOTS of detail in the files on the individual children -- where they lived, how long they stayed at a particular place, etcetera) by sending an email to: [email protected] - re Middlemore Queries. The volunteers with the project will gladly get you a ton more information.

Good luck!

Mary Anne