PDA

View Full Version : Kisby Baines (Whittlesey)

Sean K
06-04-2008, 1:15 PM
Just flagging up my surname interests!

I have traced my tree back to my Greatx4 grandparents Charles Kisby and Sarah Kisby nee Baines, who were married in Whittlesey in 1809 (witnessed by Richard Baines and the local clerk). Charles died aged 56 in 1829, Sarah died in 1864 aged 79.

I have been unable to find a baptism in the surrounding parishes for Charles ca.1773. There are plenty of Kisby's in the immediate Whittlesey area, maybe his parents forgot to baptise him! He was possibly the son of John Kisby and Mary Kizby(sic) nee Watson who married in Whittlesey in 1764. A Charles Kisby was also baptised in Littleport in 1780.

Sarah (born ca.1785) may well have been the dau of William and Susan Baines, whose dau Sarah was baptised in Whittlesey in 1791. A Richard Baines (see marriage above) was buried in Whittlesey aged 51 in 1812, so he may have been an uncle or maybe even Sarah's dad).

Would be interested to hear from any other people who have an interest in these surnames.

suemalings
07-05-2009, 7:06 PM
I've just joined the Forum and saw your post about the Kisby's. I am not researching the Kisby's but as I used to live in Papworth Everard (Cambridge) I was familiar with Kisby's Hut which was the public house in Papworth. I understand Samuel Kisby opened it in the 1800's. Papworth is about 20 miles from Whittlesey so there is a possibility Samuel could be linked to your family.

Sean K
08-05-2009, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, it would be nice to think I had a connection with Samuel! I think he only had two daughters, so if I am related it will be via an indirect route.

Did you know Kisby's Hut has closed? It's a real shame. Samuel will be turning in his grave. I think it is now an Indian restaurant.

suemalings
08-05-2009, 3:25 PM
Kisby's Hut is now called Shilpa and it's the best Indian Resaurant in the area.

Just out of interest, The house that I rented from the Papworth Trust (was over the road from Kisby's Hut) had a cellar which was used to store the beer for the pub.

My neighbour (it was a semi-detatched) also had a cellar. He was born in Papworth and it was him who told us the story

I've been checking the census from 1851 but haven't found a Kisby's at Kisby's Hut.