PDA

View Full Version : EDMONDS in Newmarket: Suffolk or Cambs?

robinadexter
19-12-2004, 6:51 PM
Merry Xmas All
I am seeking my great grandfather Benjamin David EDMONDS (son of Samuel EDMONDS) who, according to the arithmetic based on his marriage and death certs. and on census entries from 1871 on, was born in 1827. The censuses give his birthplace as Newmarket, Cambridgeshire. When I seek him in that county I am told 'but Newmarket is/was in Suffolk'. So.....

I am willing to visit Archive Offices or buy relevant CDs if I only know which Office/CD to choose so, apart from sightings of Ben himslef, I'd be grateful for general advice.

Thanks
Robina

PeterB
21-12-2004, 1:05 AM
Merry Xmas All
I am seeking my great grandfather Benjamin David EDMONDS (son of Samuel EDMONDS) who, according to the arithmetic based on his marriage and death certs. and on census entries from 1871 on, was born in 1827. The censuses give his birthplace as Newmarket, Cambridgeshire. When I seek him in that county I am told 'but Newmarket is/was in Suffolk'...

Newmarket is in Suffolk but Cambridgeshire is very close, so some of the nearby villages may be in Cambridgeshire. Genuki has a map from 1836. The RO in Bury St. Edmunds can probably help. The RO in Cambridge is not far away however if that's not right!

lizziebeth
10-02-2005, 10:04 PM
Hello Robina,
Still chasing your elusive Benjamin!!! Had another go today, have posted a message on the Cambridgeshire forum for you in respect of my findings today, but dont get too excited!! Will keep looking, all the best Carol

Mary Ablett
08-07-2005, 10:52 PM
The only Benjamin Edmonds I can find in 1841 in Suffolk or Cambridgeshire is the following
Reference details

Census 1841
TNA Ref HO107-1031
Image No 57
Folio No 11
Page No 14
Entry No 1

Cottage, Benhall
Benjamin Newson 40 Gardener
Eliza 45
Benjamin Edmonds 13 Male servant

Kind regards
Mary

robinadexter
08-07-2005, 11:36 PM
Thank you Mary.
If this is NOT my Ben I shall be very, very surprised. :D
Now - I wonder where he was in 1851, or even 1861?! If anyone out there knows........my unbounded gratitude will follow. For the moment it is with Mary AND with the kind seekers such as Carol who have tried to help go further back.
Definitely looks like he was a SUFFOLK man. In 1866 he is recorded again as from Benhall on his marriage cert.
1841 represents one more dent in the brick wall......
Cheers
Robina

robinadexter
10-07-2005, 11:36 PM
If you are still there Mary...or anyone else!.... is Samuel EDMONDS (father of Benjamin b. ca 1827/8) in Suffolk in the 1841?
Thanks
Robina