31-03-2008, 6:35 PM
Well, if that's all it said, it's against the laid-down instructions. See here:

http://home.clara.net/dixons/Certificates/births.htm

Click on column 4 - father's name.
Yes I see what you mean. Eliza|blush|

MythicalMarian
31-03-2008, 7:02 PM
Is it legal to put 'deceased' on B/certs for fathers name ?:confused:Eliza

Eliza - I have a 3xgreat grandma whose Dad was really dead at the time of her birth (I have discovered his death cert just before she was registered, and luckily enough just prior to a census by which time Mum is 'widow') but he is still listed as her father on the certificate and not a word about him being deceased. My couple were married, however. Baptismal registers can often help in this situation, the child being named as 'son of the late' and Betty, or whoever.

yorkshirecath
31-03-2008, 7:39 PM
I've got a weird one. Looks like my grandmothers parents weren't married when she was born and so she took her fathers name then her mothers so was Clarrie Wild Innocent. yet on her marriage certificate she has left fathers name blank although he was one of the witnesses!
Am waiting for her birth certificate so will be interesting to see what that says!

suedent
31-03-2008, 9:07 PM
One of mine (bless his cotton socks) put his mother's name in the "Father's Name" box when he married. Against instructions, but great for a researcher.

elizabethjones1
01-04-2008, 2:15 PM
Eliza - I have a 3xgreat grandma whose Dad was really dead at the time of her birth (I have discovered his death cert just before she was registered, and luckily enough just prior to a census by which time Mum is 'widow') but he is still listed as her father on the certificate and not a word about him being deceased. My couple were married, however. Baptismal registers can often help in this situation, the child being named as 'son of the late' and Betty, or whoever.
Hi Marion
Gosh as if it wasn't difficult enough to trace our family's I guess that "They"
were not so open minded as our society |oopsredfa Eliza.