PDA

View Full Version : Devonshire Street Cemetery

Reider
30-03-2008, 5:26 PM
Here is my problem !! According to St.James Church of England my wife's ancestors were
buried at Devonshire Street Cemetery.
Andrew Oliver Died 29 March 1841
John Oliver Died 10 July 1841
Andrew Charles Died 5 Dec.1838
They were reburied at St.Thomas Restpark,North Sydney
When I contacted the North Sydney Gov., they said there was no record of the
re-interment at St. Thomas.
There was a Alexander Oliver & family buried at St.Thomas.
He is the son of Andrew Oliver and was the applicant for re-burial.
Any help appreciated.

Reider

Danno
03-04-2008, 12:41 AM
Hi Reider

Although I'm fairly new at researching, the dead-ends i've encountered are teaching me as I go.

http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/archives_in_brief_69_2131.asp

This gov site might help as a guide for alternative research, I tried to look for death records not in the time frame you listed, IE; they may have been recorded at the time of re-burial,?. I'm learning to go out on a limb to compensate for human error. It may have been a cold day when they were writing these records, so an extra dose of Rum may have been in order ;).
N.S.W bdm
V1835637 129/1835 OLIVER JOHN JOHN JOHNSON
V18451360 62/1845 OLIVER JOHN J THOMAS BRIDGET
V18451011 145/1845 OLIVER JOHN J THOMAS BRIDGET

Take care
Danno.

ColinR
30-05-2008, 1:34 AM
Hi Reider

I looked up your names and found on NSW BDM
Andrew C Infant 1838 cert V1838251422/1838
Alexander Age 40 cert V1841145325B/1841
John Age 34 cert V184135425B/1841
I also looked up Devonshire st Cemetry and found that 106 people were re-intered at Rookwood Cemetry in 1901 maybe one of those are yours.

Regards Colin

Lenore
30-05-2008, 3:22 AM
Hi Reider,

I have a burial at St Thomas' Cemetery, but it was an original, not a re-interment. You have said that you have already contacted the North Sydney Gov, but just in case you got onto the wrong person altogether (this is not unusual in the case of local government) I can tell you that I contacted the Local Studies Librarian at North Sydney, as they have the burial register at the library, and they were able to give me the details. But even then, the details of the re-interment may not have been put into the register. There is a copy of the Burial Register at the St Thomas Rest Park Community Museum - but as I say, you may already know that.

I once went to my local council and asked to have a look at an old rate book, and they told me to go to the historical society. I told them I was from the historical society and we didn't have the rate books, *they* did. |blush| Council officers often fob you off if they can.

Just thinking about records that might have been created at the time, you would think there might have been some correspondence with the Trustees of the cemetery that could have contained a list.

Good luck with it.

Best wishs,

Lenore

ennael
20-01-2009, 10:22 PM
if you are still looking,
the re-internment registers are kept at Kingswood Archives.
they should tell you who was re-interred, where to and who was responsible for the re-interment , the payment of etc.

http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/staterecords/contact_us_3327.asp

Leanne

janetw34
13-04-2011, 10:41 AM
Hello. I just saw your note from a few years ago. We are related to the Olivers that you mention, and are in Australia, and would like to know your relationship to the persons mentioned so that we can perhaps assist with your enquiry.

Fiona67
13-04-2011, 12:57 PM
I have family members that were buried in the Devonshire St Cemetery and they were reinterred at Rookwood in 1901. I would check there to see if that is where your family was reinterred.

Fiona

Nannas
09-06-2011, 5:10 AM
Hi,
I know this thread began years ago but I have the book Old Sydney Burial Ground and the OLIVER family are listed. If the OP is still looking for this.

Nannas