PDA

View Full Version : Don't assume or accept anything... until you have proof!

Lindad
19-12-2004, 1:03 PM
We searched high, low and everywhere inbetween for my cousin's great grandfather. His 'widow' had told her children that he had died in 1917 in France... but he didn't show up on any of the lists that he should have!

To cut a VERY long story short, after an 80 year search, we have recently found his death recorded in Hammersmith in 1945... having had two further marriages that no one knew anything about!!!
So, if you've got information that you are 'sure' is correct... but you've also got a brick wall... keep looking and be creative! :D

ChristineR
20-12-2004, 12:07 AM
So, if you've got information that you are 'sure' is correct... but you've also got a brick wall... keep looking and be creative! :D

Also, one should not assume that official records are true - especially death records that dont tell you the info you expect. For instance, I had the death of one John McMILLAN, Australia 1867 - the informant was a neighbour, so I'm not sure who gave him the info supplied to the registrar. However, a single Sydney marriage was quoted and the children's names given. Apart from some variations in two of the children's name, the age gap between the last two was consistent with my information. (ten years) This last child had been registered as a child of John's first marriage, there was not an actual second marriage but this lady was the mother of the last child. There was not a divorce, John's real wife remarried shortly after his death.

Another instance - ao supplied to the registrar. However, a single Sydney marriage was quoted and the children's names given. Apart from some variations in two of the children's name, the age gap between the last two was consistent with my information. (ten years) This last child had been registered as a child of John's first marriage, there was not an actual second marriage but this lady was the mother of the last child. There was not a divorce, John's real wife remarried shortly after his death.

Another instance - a widow had five children to a man she married after the last child - these children were all given the surname of her first husband. On her death certificate, not one of these children are mentioned - except for the fact that one of them was the informant - clearly marked 'son'

This what makes it such fun - guessing, and then trying to prove what everyone was up to.
ChristineR
Vic Australia