PDA

View Full Version : I CAN.T FIND DID HE EMIGRATE

BOBROB
29-03-2008, 11:27 PM
|help|I have been looking for Thomas Finch Bull born in Thames Ditton 1838 we have certs but I can't find a marriage or a death how can I check to see if he emigrated. with a middle name of Finch I thought it would be easy, any one any suggestions part of the bull family seach in the newbie post brick wall forum on the mother and father try one of the sons thanks bobrob

edited by Moderator to add link to thread referred to by bobrob
http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php?p=150278#post150278

Geoffers
30-03-2008, 10:20 AM
Some initial thoughts.........

Have you found him in any census returns?

If you have did he remain in the same area all the time?

Have you tried searching census returns for the area where he lived/was born just by initials? Census returns for many institutions - Asylums, Workhouses, Prisons just record inmates by initials, usually add an age and sometimes include a birthplace.

If he emigrated, it may have been with assistance of the Poor Law Amendment Act 1834, which provided for parishes to take out loans to pay for the poor to emigrate (It worked out cheaper thna paying poor relief). The records relating to this are held at The National Archives (TNA) in document class MH12, they are arranged chronologically by Poor Law Union.

Try seaching the FFHS National Burial Index (NBI) although coverage is not comphrensive, it still contains several million entries and possibly you chap was buried somewhere you wouldn't expect to find him.

In case of transcription problems, try searching the GRO index for BALL, and also FINCH. Was he born legitimately or illegitimately?

Did he join the RN or Army?

Waitabit
11-10-2008, 3:59 AM
Have you seen this chap in 1861

Thomas F. Bull

46A Quakers School..Croydon. Surrey..Eccl. Parish St.John.

24 ..Assistant Burster.. Teacher ...b M'sex, Tower Hamlets c 1837

RG.9/449 Folio no. seems to be on wrong side of page, faint & reversed. pge 10.

pge 9 is stamped 112 + pge 11 is stamped 113.

I realize birth area is broad but he is the only Thomas F. Bull who is registerd as such between Sep.1837 + 1839

Waitabit
11-10-2008, 4:47 AM
While I was here, I tried for a marriage on FreeBMD. There is a Thomas Bull..Mar 1/4 1865 ..Croydon.. 2a -252. Only 3 names here.

I entered 2a- 252 etc. on FreeBMD.. same result. So I asked for all Croydon marriages Mar 1/4 1865.. oh joy !! lots of them. Aiming for a similar number as some scan are very faint,....I asked for 2a-232. Uneven no.s again. The second one I tried, Julia Jelle was in fact "2a-252".

This may be nothiing to do with your man but it kept me out of the kitchen for a time. Now I have to prep. a Roast Lamb dinner.

Didn't try to find them on census, as a bit too much time has gone bye. So good if it was your lot.

;)